Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Finished I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream by Ellison. Started Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut. Next, maybe ?, well I'll know when I get there, fear not....

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished Cat's Cradle, it was okay, I think I liked Slaughter House 5 better, gonna try Sirens of Titan soon. I started Sturgeon's The Dreaming Jewels, at first it seemed juvenile but suddenly after a few chapters, it has me enthralled.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished "The Benchley Roundup" and "Tom Sawyer" both great.
I may read (on someone's recommendation) "On The Shoulders of Giants" next.
Also got a recording of "Mere Christianity", abridged, read by Michael York.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On March 8 finished reading "Anne of Windy Poplars" by L. M. Montgomery.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finitoed the Dreaming Jewels by Theodore Sturgeon, thought it was excellent. Started Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams. Been meaning to read Brave New World by Huxley for some time, might get into that next...

posted Hide Post
Dandy, have you been reading the series in order?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...have you been reading the series in order?

I tried reading out-of-order once, but starting on chapter 31 and ending with chapter 5 just didn't seem to give the same satisfaction.

(Just kidding)

(Ever thus to those who make light of Lucinda Williams!)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished "On The Shoulders Of Giants"
and "Cat On The Scent".
Am willing to comment and/or discuss.
But now, I must return home to practice, drink beer, eat, and watch "Jeeves".

posted Hide Post
I'm drinking a cold near beer and eating corn chips.

I finished Walter Jon Williams' Hardwired which I surprisingly found excellent. I started Albert Camus' The Stranger today. May read Neil Stephenson's Snowcrash next...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Dandy, have you been reading the series in order?

Yes, in order but not back-to-back.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just finished "On The Shoulders Of Giants"
and "Cat On The Scent".
Am willing to comment and/or discuss.
But now, I must return home to practice, drink beer, eat, and watch "Jeeves".

If you liked Kareem's literary efforts, you might want to also read Black Profiles in Courage. I have them both and highy recommended them as real history for both Black and White folks, who likley do not know much of the topics covered in these excellent books. I met Kareem earlier this month and he had a large following at his question and asnwer and book signing. Very eloquent speaker.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finished The Stranger in one day (yesterday) and it was weirdly like being in a foreign film. It had its moments though. I randomly picked up The Musicians Of Auschwitz by Fania Fenelon out of my tbr pile here at home. I originally picked it out of the garbage at work. By page three there were tears in my eyes. I'm at a loss for words almost, that this tiny girl of seventeen could live through that kind of pure hell is amazing. Music saved her from the rest and her way of using humor to overcome saved her mind. Its very good so far. Everyone should read about The Holocaust at the very least to prevent it from happening ever again. It is such a blight on humanity.

posted Hide Post
Finished The Musicians Of Auschwitz by Fania Fenelon, very powerful, moving, and tragic. I started Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

posted Hide Post
This is really weird. I had "Swiss Family Robinson" all picked out, sitting at home waiting to read when I got back from my trip, and met one of the guys from the movie I didn't even know would be at the event I attended!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Finished The Stranger in one day (yesterday) and it was weirdly like being in a foreign film. It had its moments though. I randomly picked up The Musicians Of Auschwitz by Fania Fenelon out of my tbr pile here at home. I originally picked it out of the garbage at work. By page three there were tears in my eyes. I'm at a loss for words almost, that this tiny girl of seventeen could live through that kind of pure hell is amazing. Music saved her from the rest and her way of using humor to overcome saved her mind. Its very good so far. Everyone should read about The Holocaust at the very least to prevent it from happening ever again. It is such a blight on humanity.

It is happening right now in Africa, what are we doing about that?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post