Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nard, thanks for posting the dragon game. You're right--it's freezing this weekend, and the wind chill is making it worse. Right now I can hear the wind howling through the trees outside my house. I will be going out very little this weekend--food, gas, mail bills. I will have plenty of time to play that dragon game and catch up on my reading and hot chocolate consumption. I have now started "Catfantastic," a book of short fantasy, cat-related stories by numerous authors and edited by Andre Norton. So far--a bit strange, but good.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper: If you press on the home icon for the 'dragon' game, there are a couple dozen others. This website must have won some sort of internet award for its beauty and genius. It's, really, a work of art. And will keep you occupied for quite a while...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am making admirable progress on "David Copperfield" and less admirable progress on "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." Found it very funny when Mr. Omer tells David Copperfield he enjoyed reading his books and didn't even think of being sleepy--wish I could read more than two pages of Harry at a time and be able to say the same!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have now started "Catfantastic," a book of short fantasy, cat-related stories by numerous authors and edited by Andre Norton

You mean Mary Norton...(lol) She changed her name in the 1930's just so editors would stop rejecting her because she was female.

She wrote so many books the exact count has never been agreed upon...somewhere around 250.

We featured her on The Official AB Slideshow. She was a class act, indeed.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just as well. She'd have been constantly confused with the author of "The Borrowers" series.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your Dandiness, I probably missed it, but is this the first time you've read "David Copperfield" ? What a treat!
Somewhere on the board we discussed a few favourite characters...
The 1935 movie is still the best. Incredible, perfect cast.
I trust you're enjoying the book! Dickens' own favourite, I understand.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've seen several movie adaptations, but this is the first time I've read the book, and I am greatly enjoying it.

I have the Freddie Bartholomew and Daniel Radcliffe versions ready to watch when I finish reading the book.

posted Hide Post
dandelion,
I’m happy to hear that you’re enjoying “David Copperfield". Both film versions that you mention are very good but may I recommend my personal favorite?

David Copperfield (1970), Directed by Delbert Mann (he of “Marty” and “Dear Heart”)

Laurence Olivier..........Mr. Creakle
Richard Attenborough......Mr. Tungay
Cyril Cusack (of F451)....Barkis
Susan Hampshire...........Agnes
Wendy Hiller..............Mrs. Micawber
Ralph Richardson..........Mr. Micawber
Edith Evans...............Aunt Betsey
Ron Moody (played Fagan)..Uriah Heep
Michael Redgrave..........Mr. Peggotty

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter, did you read Great Expectations? If so, what did you think about it?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Great Expectations” was first rate, second only to “David Copperfield”. I especially liked the way the character of “the Aged” was treated.

Look, rocket! There’s a message board. Lets write on it!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your right on all accounts! Let's do shall we? I particularly relished the very end, it got me right here!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read "Great Expectations" and "David Copperfield" in my first year of high school, lo, many moons ago. Unfortunately, I had to read them simultaneously, which I do not recommend! I've since read both a few more times. I really like "Martin Chuzzlewit" and especially Dickens' last complete book, "Our Mutual Friend".
While reading Dickens, I often feel he must be the best writer who ever lived. But I feel the same while reading Poe, and, of course, Bradbury.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,
Wouldn’t it be interesting if Bradbury and Dickens could have a conversation? I imagine it would be pretty creative, over the snorts.

rocket,
Yes, the ending to “Great Expectations” is very moving. The story had such a trend to it, I didn’t know what to expect.

Did you know that there is another ending? If you have read the Oxford edition than you know but if not, and interested, try and find one, perhaps in the library. There’s an appendix titled “The Cancelled Conclusion”.

posted Hide Post
David Copperfield was awesome, don't get me wrong. I think it must have really been different to read in installments like it originally came out. I think Expectations works better as a novel, at least I enjoyed it better. But not by much! Both are superb!

posted Hide Post
Chap, I never knew (or else I forgot!) about the different endings.
Here's a bit I found about that:
http://www.umd.umich.edu/casl/hum/eng/classes/434/geweb/REVISEDE.htm