Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
By the way, I love the "She-who-must-be-obeyed". Fantastic, that one! I may begin to use it myself as my wife's kids (and I and my kids) are huge Harry Potter fans.

As am I, but I think jkt got it from Rumpole, if I am not mistaken.

"Rumpole" is correct!
I've been referring to Mrs. Braling using that soubriquet for years now!
In fact, SHE will be returning tomorrow fro a 10-week visit to England, Cyprus, and Israel...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But not before a tipple of 'Chateau Thames Embankment' at Pomeroy's, I presume.

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pomeroy's Plunk!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Braling II, what does Braling I think about your wife's world travels?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Pomeroy's Plunk!

"Plunk"? Isn't that what you do with a banjo?

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

First I read the book about a burger joint with a cult following, now I'm reading a book telling me to eat little meat but mostly unprocessed fruits, vegetables and grains.

To add insult to injury I took Ray's acting troupe snacks on Saturday, consisting of Hostess Cupcakes, Twinkies and alike. Smiler

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Wow! Braling II, what does Braling I think about your wife's world travels?

Mrs. Braling II keeps him blissfully ignorant.

I quite like Mrs. Braling I.

(This is getting complicated!)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
quote:
Pomeroy's Plunk!

"Plunk"? Isn't that what you do with a banjo?

Possibly; I'm a bassist myself.

posted Hide Post
Actually She (W.M.B.O.) brought back a few pounds of P.G. Tips (loose!), lots of chocs, some Lancashire & Double Gloucester cheeses and some battenbergs (which I'm enjoying right now with my cuppa).

OK, back on topic.

Just finished the Book On Tape of "The Salmon Of Doubt", much of which was highly amusing.

posted Hide Post
I wonder if She noticed this gem in Sunday's colour supplement:

http://entertainment.timesonli...s/article6380040.ece

posted Hide Post
quote:
...some Lancashire & Double Gloucester cheeses...

Cracking cheeses, Gromit!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: What say you? RB wrote a screen play in 1959??
White Hunter, Black Heart! (scroll down a few titles)

http://images.google.com/imgre...start%3D820%26um%3D1

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Phil: What say you? RB wrote a screen play in 1959??
White Hunter, Black Heart!

fjp, I believe this is FALSE. Bradbury knew Peter Viertel around the time of his writing Moby Dick for Huston. And, of course, Bradbury's novel about his work with Huston has a title (Green Shadow, White Whale) that echoes Viertel's title.

In the 50s, Bradbury did write several unproduced screenplays, but only one of these was adapted from another author - The Dreamers, based on the novel by Roger Manvell.

Apart from my own website, the best reference point for Bradbury's adaptations is Jon Eller's article in the first issue of The New Ray Bradbury Review. There is no sign of a Viertel adaptation in Eller's article.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp, your link prompted me to look in Weller's book for references to Peter Viertel, and I see I need to clarify the situation regarding White Hunter, Black Heart.

According to Weller (pp244-5), in February 1957 Bradbury worked as script consultant and co-writer on a sreenplay based on Viertel's book. He was to collaborate with John Gay. Gay is quoted as saying that they didn't actually get much work done, and Bradbury is reported as recalling that they got as far as outlining the adaptation and writing thirty pages. After a while, Bradbury and Gay decided that the collaboration and adaptation wasn't working, and the project was abandoned.

So I was correct, to the extent that there never was a finished script by Ray Bradbury for White Hunter. This, in turn, is why the script is not listed in my website or in Eller's Bradbury filmography.

However, when I said "this is FALSE", I was a bit harsh, as it clearly has a basis in fact.

- Phil