Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Give it up for Big Bob, the Bot!

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huzzah! tickticktick Huzzah!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pleasure, Sundance! Enjoy.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. Back on track.
Presently listening to the Recorded Book of "The Shape Shifter", Tony Hillerman's latest. Extremely good, so far; and there's no one like George Guidall for reading these stories.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
K, finished Mona Lisa Overdrive, did not hold a candle to Neuromancer but was alright. Started to read Blade Runner by Dick, yes I know the real title, too lazy to write it out(which was wasted explaining that, go figure). I'm in a cyber punkish mood so next may be another in that vein, possibly Hardwired or Voice of the Whirlwind by Williams...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let us know whether Dick answers the question he poses in the title. I've read only short stories by that guy and thought they were pretty good, nothing great. I did try to read "High Castle" but jumped ship 75-100 pages in because of sheer bordome. He seems to have great, great ideas but something about his writing puts me off. I think he purposely leaves a lot to the reader's imagination, for one, and I just don't do well with that style. I need everything spelled out for me. Also, that sense of paranoia which he has an uncanny ability to install in the reader really trips me out. But that probably just says more about me. While reading DUNE I also had an overwhelming sense of paranoia, like someone following me, or of a knife poised to plunge into my back.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...a Krys knife, perhaps?

posted Hide Post
grass, I'm not very far into it but I do know what you mean about that feeling of paranoia, it is bleak and dark so far. But in a good way, lol. When I read a summary of The Man In The High Castle, I cringed a little at the premise of the story. Someone at work said it was really good, not really an alternate history fan. Will let you know about the androids though...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm reading more STAR TREK - The Animated Series novelizations. In the current adventure the Enterprise is locked in one of those awesome stalmates in a battle with a Klingon ship, captained by an old acquaintence of Kirk. Cool stuff. I needed a break from the robots.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I think I've got a new all-time fave--"Enemy Mine" by Barry Longyear. Killer story, little bit different from the movie, epic feel, better ending. The race card is played to the hilt and would probably bother most people but as far as I'm concerned Longyear's just preaching to the choir here. Anymore, however, and it might have lost some of it's effectiveness and shock value. The ending was sooooo much better I really wonder why they didn't adapt that part for the movie. Probably time constraints. The setting is also different, being a large treeless rock in the middle of a violent sea. They eventually make it to a bigger island where they can seek shelter in a cave. It's a very sad story at times. There were three or four times where I had to put the book down in order to regain my composure. I've just gotta share the ending.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SPOILER~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After being rescued, the Davidge character (Dennis Quaid) returns to live in the cave. All of Jerry's descendants are brought to the cave as newborns to be raised by Davidge (gulp).

posted Hide Post
I just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I thought it was a borderline great book. I think I'd rate it a high 7 or a low 8 maybe. Grasstains, androids do not dream of electric sheep. I won't wade through the kipple or I might give away something. I was impressed with it though. It is bleak and stark and dark, but what do you expect for a bounty hunter stalking renegade androids in the post apocalyptic future. Has alot of interesting little twists and turns, Dick weaves a very good tight yarn here. It is quite different than the movie, better I thought. My choices for my next read were between On The Beach or 1984. I think I'm opting for '84.

posted Hide Post
Three books right now:

Farewell Summer, Podkayne of Mars by Heinlein, and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

All good - all different.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,
I hope you can find a way to read both endings of “Podkayne”.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll try!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both endings? Do tell.

I just read Heinlein's first story "Life-line" two nights ago. I don't think I understood the ending. I had to read the final paragragh three or four times. Still not sure I got it. If any of you have read it, or remember it, perhaps you can spell it out for me.

Robo,

ON THE BEACH is pretty bleak and stark also. A good, moody read that you will probably remember the rest of your life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,