Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It’s been some time since I’ve been fortunate enough to pass this way and I’d like to catch up on telling you what I’ve been seeing and reading.

I decided to take a walk in the country and came upon a little brown house with an artist lady by the name of Barbara Cooney sitting out front doing a sketch of it. I discovered that a lovely family by the name of Pepper lived there. After a rewarding visit I continued my walk and an oriental fellow in a Gran Torino wearing a smile button with a red stain on it pulled up along side me and said that the “lady from Philadelphia” requested my presence at the Peterkins to help in the turning around of a piano. My time there was both confusing and enjoyable. In the afternoon I ran over to Applegate’s (he of the two towers) for an appointment with Fenton Hardy and the boys. Now I’m in my room at Brinkley Court and having changed for dinner -- oh, excuse me, there’s a knock at the door.

“Excuse me, sir, dinner is served. Mr. Wooster, Prince Dakkar and Captain Hunley are anxious to continue their discussion of pressurized submersibles.”

“Thank you, Jeeves.”

“If I may be so bold as to inquire, sir, who were you talking to?”

“Oh, that’s just a little trick of mine, Jeeves. When I open this book by Ray Bradbury to a specific chapter -- this one here, the one with only one line in it -- I can talk into it and people all over can see what I’m saying.”

Jeeves has raised an eyebrow.

“What ho, Jeeves, it’s complicated -- sort of a physics thing.”

“The mind boggles, sir!”

“Steady on, Jeeves.”

Well I’d better be going folks. Hope to see you again soon.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great to hear from you, Chap!!!

I just spent some time with Barnaby Rudge & Grip.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, the raven that preceded "The Raven".

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
she's come undone

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I must say this bodes well!
Two of my favourite board members have returned!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"She's"???
Slowly HE turned...

Hello, Bral. Hewo, Wocket.

posted Hide Post
Step by step!

posted Hide Post
Preparing to read The Jungle Book again.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much preparation does it take? (Locate book. Place book on table. Prepare drink and plate of crackers. Disconnect phone. Turn off TV. Sit down. Open cover...)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
How much preparation does it take?

I was going to ask the same thing. How does one prepare to read a book?

I particularly enjoyed the bit about the crackers.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and CHEESE!

posted Hide Post
Chapter, I was referring to the book I am now reading, "She's Come Undone".

Braling, thanx!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...I was going to ask the same thing. How does one prepare to read a book?

I particularly enjoyed the bit about the crackers.

Perhaps the preparation is specific to The Jungle Book. Maybe dandy has to psychologically prepare for the shock of talking animals. (Or is that only in the film?)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
How much preparation does it take?

I was going to ask the same thing. How does one prepare to read a book?

You have no idea the preparation it takes me to do anything.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perhaps the preparation is specific to The Jungle Book. Maybe dandy has to psychologically prepare for the shock of talking animals. (Or is that only in the film?)

OMG, you haven't read The Jungle Book?! (Prepares to faint.)