Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What Are You Reading? II
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 60

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading? II
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Hold on, one more...

What a day! You better have a lie-down.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DS, I can't in the garage. So, as long as BRII is "out and about," I may just retreat for a while quietly to the nice cool cellar!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
I may just retreat for a while quietly to the nice cool cellar!!

Better yet!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, watch where you're stepping! You might damage me or my mushroom crop!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

Oh, how I long for the opportunity to retreat to a nice cool cellar, but alas, I must make do with a crawl space.

Geraldine, my black widow spider friend who lives under the front porch and only comes out at night, once told me that there's a crawl space under the crawl space that hasn't been explored since the place was built in the mid-fifties. I believe her, though I've found no evidence of it thus far in my explorations.

Clearly a spider has no reason to lie about such things, so I'll explore some more...

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Moby Dick, A Screenplay by Ray Bradbury

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog the Dog here.

I just picked up one of my favorite bedtime stories, Seein' Things, by Eugene Field.

I'll admit, it's the illustrations that really draw me in:

Field also wrote Little Boy Blue, another one of my favorites:

The little toy dog is covered with dust,
But sturdy and stanch he stands;
And the little toy soldier is red with rust,
And his musket moulds in his hands.
Time was when the little toy dog was new,
And the soldier was passing fair;
And that was the time when our Little Boy Blue
Kissed them and put them there.

"Now, don't you go till I come," he said,
"And don't you make any noise!"
So, toddling off to his trundle-bed,
He dreamt of the pretty toys;
And, as he was dreaming, an angel song
Awakened our Little Boy Blue---
Oh! the years are many, the years are long,
But the little toy friends are true!

Ay, faithful to Little Boy Blue they stand,
Each in the same old place---
Awaiting the touch of a little hand,
The smile of a little face;
And they wonder, as waiting the long years through
In the dust of that little chair,
What has become of our Little Boy Blue,
Since he kissed them and put them there.

What's left of the fur on my back bristles up whenever I imagine myself one of those toy dogs sitting around gathering dust in a chair, waiting an eternity for a child who will never return.

Instead, I'm wandering the corridors of the Internet, searching while I wait, shedding dust wherever I go...

MTD
Shortly after midnight in this neck-o-the-woods

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MogtheDog, if you want a real doggy fright, you should read Bradbury's "The Emissary".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes, The Emissary. Another one of my fur-bristling favorites. Faux fur, that is.

MTD

posted Hide Post
I just finished an interesting novel by Denise Hamilton, The Last Embrace, about 1949 Los Angeles Noir and is a murder mystery. Woven into the plot are some familiar people to the members of this board. Mentioned is Ray Bradbury, having just published his first book, Dark Carnival (1947), Ray Harryhausen and Willis O'Brien, and the much acclaimed California Sorcery group that used to meet at Clifton's cafeteria to read each other's stories. Yes, even Forrey Ackerman is mentioned. A nice trip down memory lane for anyone who lived through that period, and a view into the early history of LA crime and gang personalities, such as Mickey Cohen and Bugsy Segal. Nicely woven into a pretty good detective novel, based on a true killing that occurred in LA of that time. Give it a read, fun to learn just how things really worked in the old days in LA and Hollywood.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today I am reading A Problem from Hell: American and the Age of Genocide by Samantha Power - am about to enter Rwanda... a little light reading! And finishing up Bradbury Speaks. Haven't decided which among my piles of "to read" books to embark on next but thinking about it...

Posts: 5 | Registered: 22 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Machita:
Haven't decided which among my piles of "to read" books to embark on next but thinking about it...

So you're pulling a "Burgess Meredith"?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
So you're pulling a "Burgess Meredith"?

Take extra care of those super-prescription specs!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is some irony for you. We are allowed a stash shelf at my work to keep things we plan on buying from our store. I recently spotted and placed on my shelf an old record album of Burgess Meridith reading Ray Bradbury. (Our store sells books, dvds, cds, vhs, laser disks, vid and software games, audio books, even used magazines, actually almost any type of media.) He reads There Will Come Soft Rains and I can't remember which others but at the time I found it, I thought it was a wonderful find. Its payday so I may pruchase it tonight, I'll let you know what else he reads. Also sitting in the stack with that l.p. was Roddy McDowell reads Lovecraft, yay, got that as well soon to buy and listen to.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
...Burgess Meredith reading Ray Bradbury.

This one, right? It's wonderful. That voice!

There Will Come Soft Rains and Marionettes, Inc..

The latter is all about our own Mr Braling, I think.

"Live Forever!"