Ray Bradbury Forums
What Are You Reading? II

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/5571014362

06 September 2007, 02:43 PM
Doug Spaulding
What Are You Reading? II
Deign is a good word, as is eschew.

Eschew, eh? I must say that I think he's one of our best story-tellers, although admittedly, his writing is the literary equivalent of a Big Mac & Fries!

Speaking of SK, I just got a letter from him. Alas, he will be unable to participate in my 4E doc at this time (imagine that!).

"Live Forever!"
06 September 2007, 03:12 PM
poettesse
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Will next read: God - who knows? One of the multitudinous tomes piled up like in Burgess Meredith's stacks in "Time Enough at Last"! Will there ever really be time enough!?

What riches in store! Lucky you! I'm so desperate for something new to read--or at least SOMETHING ELSE to re-read--that I'm driven to having my kid borrow books for me from the library at his Middle School!

I'm currently re-reading James Joyce's 'Dubliners.'
I recently finished 'Trace' by Patricia Cornwell. Blah.
Tomorrow, I hope, my kid will be acquiring for me 'Legends of the Fall' by Jim Harrison and/or 'The Lovers: The Legend of Trystan and Yseult' by Kate Hawks and Parke Godwin, 'Stitches in Time' by Barbara Michaels, 'The Wandering Hill' by Larry McMurtry and, best of all, 'Dandelion Wine.'

We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle, and if you should feel really happy, be patient: this will pass.
~~Garrison Keillor
06 September 2007, 04:47 PM
rocket
poettesse, I was very impressed with Patrick Suskind's Perfume. Very original and keeps you on the edge from front to back.

(query; if someone's name on the board is written with a lower case letter at the beginning of their handle, do you capitalize it when you start a sentence? Just curious because of fjp, patrask, grasstains, and er rocket for instance.)

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com
06 September 2007, 05:39 PM
fjp451
quote:
as is eschew

Bless you!
07 September 2007, 07:26 AM
rocket
thank you!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

07 September 2007, 12:19 PM
biplane1
I have been reading David Rockefeller-Memoirs and finding it very interesting.

Poettesse, I am so fortunate in that at our retirement community's club house, there is a library wall that have books coming and going with a wide range of topic matter.
07 September 2007, 01:04 PM
philnic
"Books coming and going"? Do you have to chase after them? A good way to exercise both body and mind!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
07 September 2007, 01:10 PM
grasstains
Doug: "Will next read: God - who knows? One of the multitudinous tomes piled up like in Burgess Meredith's stacks in "Time Enough at Last"! Will there ever really be time enough!?"

Poetesse: "What riches in store! Lucky you! I'm so desperate for something new to read--or at least SOMETHING ELSE to re-read--that I'm driven to having my kid borrow books for me from the library at his Middle School!"

grasstains: Well, I think I'm done buying books for a good long spell, forever even. I've also got that stupid stack on my nightstand. My bookshelves are full, UNDERNEATH the bookshelves are full, there is a bookshelf in the kids' room (the largest bookshelf in the house) which I could maybe claim a portion..... nah, I couldn't do that. I'll be boxing my STAR TREK, X-FILES, ALIEN NATION, and other so-called "media tie-ins" and putting them out to the garage. That will create enough room on one shelf for that rediculous nightstand stack o' books.

What really pushed me over the edge was the annual GOODWILL THRIFTSTORE Labor Day Sale. Everything 50% off. We went to six (6) different GOODWILL stores in a caravan of "thriftoholics" starting at 9:00 AM and finishing at 4:00 PM. I came home with twenty-two (22) books, eight shirts, three LPs, and three movies. The twenty-two books thing was really just overkill. But at 50 cents apiece..... no thriftoholic bibliovore could resist. I don't feel guilty.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"
07 September 2007, 01:30 PM
Braling II
(*sigh*) Our local library's main branch has an
annual book sale - books for a dollar a pound! But, alas! Mrs. Braling takes the ump (a Lancashire expression) whenever I buy another book!
07 September 2007, 03:13 PM
[beloved]
What book are you reading currently?
What book did you just finish?
What book will you read next?

I'm reading 'The Last Man' which is a comic. But, hey, reading is reading.

I just finished 'Eclipse' by Stephanie Meyer. I'm sure some of you have heard the hype on that.

I'm thinking about reading 'A Beautiful Mind' and/or 'Computers of Star Trek.'
07 September 2007, 03:24 PM
Braling II
Welcome, Dame!
As to what I'm reading, see above.
I have a Jack Benny Biography I may read next.

"There is nothing like a dame...!"
07 September 2007, 04:16 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I have a Jack Benny Biography I may read next.

I read that - it's wonderful!

"Live Forever!"
07 September 2007, 06:44 PM
rocket
I is a good word.

07 September 2007, 07:17 PM
Doug Spaulding
Now you're having sport with me!

"Live Forever!"
07 September 2007, 07:43 PM
rocket
Yes, I am because I know your a good sport and a kind heart!

Now is a good word.
(please stop me, I'm exuding smartellicness(?)like Eddie Haskell to June, er I mean Mrs. Cleaver.)