Ray Bradbury Forums
What Are You Reading? II

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/5571014362

26 March 2007, 09:28 PM
Robert M Blevins
What Are You Reading? II
Okay...it's a good book, but not really entertainment...
'Michael Langford's 35mm Handbook'

On a separate note, we placed this site on our Links and Friends page. It's not easy to get placed on that page...we have strict requirements, like uniqueness and honesty on the internet...

The Internet Archive

An addictive site. They have thousands of books, classic films, Old-Time Radio programs, historical footage, texts, games, you name it, they probably have it. All all available for free download. You don't even have to sign up, and there is absolutely NO embedded spyware or any c--p you don't need. A real rarity on the web. They are funded partially by government grants, and are compiling a record right now of over 2 BILLION different web pages for future generations to view, even if the websites are long gone. Most of the web pages are historical, many are from the early days of the internet.

I could go on...just don't get hooked too hard unless you have a BIG hard drive or a LOT of CD-R's. (lol)
The AB staff downloaded the entire Dragnet series and Dimension X, etc. and put them on CD's in MP-3 format. We play them when we go camping. You can get 20 episodes on a single disk, more on your mp3...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert M Blevins,
27 March 2007, 07:49 AM
Braling II
Hey, Rocket! I just dropped in to the Panic Room here, and all the furniture has been changed, the fire is out, the chowder is cold, and even my ashtray is missing! Did I open the wrong door?
27 March 2007, 08:21 PM
rocket
No, not to my knowledge. Everything is as it was here, fire's going, furniture all intact, cognac in my right hand, cigar in my left and I'm looking directly into your eyes B-Two. Something is strangely out of kilter like several or an infinite amount of dimensions overlapping at once. Like a book's leaves fluttering in a strong wind. Your fading in and out. Fascinating...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com
27 March 2007, 08:22 PM
rocket
I adore The Internet Archive! I have downloaded umpteen shows from there mostly Grateful Dead.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

05 April 2007, 09:42 AM
fjp451
We just read aloud "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" (a beautiful and historic name for many reasons).

Ironic twists made us pause as we did some cross referencing to the event and the locale:
The exchange between the 14 year drummer boy and the fatherly general will have taken place exactly 145 years ago - tonight!

The ironies were chilling: a roomful of "14 year" old freshmen students, enthralled by the solemnity of the dialogue and poetic tone within the narration. All were well-aware that just before mid-night tonight, the telling of the story will come back to life as only Mr. Bradbury's metaphoric masterpieces can!!

Kids were wide-eyed and touched as the peach blossoms gently tapped the drum in the story's final line.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/shiloh.htm

Happy Easter, All! PEACE!
05 April 2007, 06:54 PM
rocket
Finished Middlesex which was good. I started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

06 April 2007, 07:07 PM
rocket
Slight adjustment to that. I changed my mind again. I've chosen to read Toni Morrison's Beloved because much to my dismay, my alma mater Eastern High School here in Louisville has in effect banned the book. The advanced senior reading class who was almost finished with their reading assignment of Beloved was cut short by two phone calls from two parents. The complaint was due to graphic sexual descriptions. Instead of ostracizing the two students, the principle elected to ostracise the remaining students by discontinuing the assignment. He was quoted as saying he didn't ban the book, the students could still read it at home. Here is the real kicker, the replacement book is The Scarlet Letter! C'mon, is this an advanced senior reading class or third graders! This was in our local paper a few days ago.

08 April 2007, 05:37 PM
ravenswake
Lettersfromstan.com, the Stan Laurel Correspondence Archive Project, which has collected personal letters from Stan Laurel to private individuals. Interesting reading from a cool individual.
09 April 2007, 01:47 PM
philnic
ravenswake, thanks for that link. It's a fascinating resource which I'm sure I will spend many hours browsing. I love L&H.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
09 April 2007, 07:52 PM
Braling II
Just finished "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston. Pretty good stuff.
Off to England tomorrow!
Tira for now...
10 April 2007, 05:58 PM
Priory
Dandelion--
Re: Fenimore Cooper
Have you read The Spy? I think it's his most accessible, and it is purported to be true.

Priory
10 April 2007, 08:04 PM
dandelion
No, I haven't. I heard that was one of several unsuccessful attempts before he met with success. Of course, that might make it his best. "Moby-Dick" was extremely unpopular with people who felt "Melville went too far," while his popular works are largely forgotten.
17 April 2007, 04:57 PM
rocket
Beloved was stunning and spectacular with superb writing skills, will definitely be reading more from her. I decided to try The Hours by Michael Cunningham, may try Written On The Body next by Jeanette Winterson, not sure though, between that and some Vonnegut...

22 April 2007, 06:49 PM
rocket
Finished The Hours last night. At first I found it dificult to get into because it seemed rather random, but it finally came around and was excellent. I started Written On The Body by Winterson. I think I may try some Tom Robbins next, never read anything by him yet.

If the titles I've been choosing seem off the beaten trail for me, it's because I handed out a questionaire at work requesting all my coworkers to write their favorite ten books. I'm going to make a poster for work. It has expanded my reading list tenfold and it is very exciting in a low key sort of way.

25 April 2007, 05:51 PM
Braling II
HEY! I'm back!
On my trip, I read "The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom" by Slavomir Rawicz.
HIGHLY recommended. Couldn't put it down.

I'm now in the middle of "Christianity On Trial". Wow. Well-researched and well-written.

(I hope to get some digital pics of my trip and post them here, maybe I can figure out the "photo album" thingie...)