Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Trying to find this story...is it by Brabury?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to find this story...is it by Brabury?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello out there in Bradbury-land...first time poster here.

I read a story a long time ago and am trying to find it again...I *think* it it was by RB, but not sure.

Summary: While having dinner at home with his family, a man is interrupted by a visitor that seems vaguely familiar. The man invites the unknown man to dinner and the guest spends the whole time staring intently at the man's wife. After dinner the guest pulls the man aside and tells him to "treat his wife right" and not screw up his marriage, then leaves. The man realizes the visitor was himself from sometime in the future.

This story resonated with me after I went through my own divorce. I would do the exact same thing if I could go back in time for just one day. "Young Kurt, love your wife and DON'T BLOW IT!" then slap myself upside the head.

Anyway, if anyone could point me in the right direction to find this story, I'd be obliged...thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not Bradbury!

But 'dandelion' cues in occasionally, and she'll give you the final lowdown.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it sounds familiar to me.
After some research I think it could be "A Touch of Petulance" which is by Ray Bradbury [1980 short story]

Synopsis: A man travels back in time to warn his younger self to start saving his marriage so that he does not kill his wife in 20 years.

AND, I just found out it's in "The Toynbee Convector" collection!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II:
Well, that just goes to show you how much I know...

Just got back from hearing Ray at Laguna Beach Library. (11:45pm, Dec 14). Will post some photos in the next hour or two, once I download and format the photos...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, BII beat me to this one.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, remember, I'm unemployed at the moment, so lotsa time on my hands between looking for work and worrying!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just recently re-re-read "A Touch of Petulance" and that is *definitely* it. They meet on the subway train, and the older one importunes his younger self to take him home to dinner.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post