Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    illustrated man/something wicked connection?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

illustrated man/something wicked connection?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi! I just finished Something Wicked This Way Comes, and i thought it was very good (the 'final battle' with mr. dark was sort of dissapointing and unexciting though). I have not read Mr. Bradbury's book "The Illustrated Man". Does this have anything to do with the 'illustrated man' in (or anything else involving) Something Wicked?

Posts: 38 | Location: wilmington, DE, USA | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes.

The illustrated man is tattooed from head to toe. His tattooes tell stories while he sleeps. This was done to him by a witch from a traveling fair.

Posts: 106 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury will get hold of a phrase he likes and use it in several different forms, sometimes related, sometimes not, sometimes debatable. This could be among the debatable ones, especially since the themes of the tattoos on the Illustrated Man in the short story collection are potentially infinite.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything that Bradbury writes I have found relate to other things that he has written. I am about to finish SWTWC and am getting ready to look at the illustated man.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am finishing reading The Illustrated Man, and then I didn't know what I was going to look at next, but all this talk about the similarities between Illutstrated and SWTWC is persuading me to pick that one up next! Why have you chosen to read SWTWC before Illustrated?

Summer comes rushing in like the winds of a tornado...except in Michigan!

Posts: 32 | Location: Rochester College | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am getting ready to read this book... and I am very excited from what I have heard of it (The Illustrated Man). Hopefully its a quick read and good story.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it does seem that all of rays books tie together in some way or another. If nothing else, they are all off the wall.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I know about Illustrated man there are quite a few similarities, but I'm starting to think that all of Bradbury's books are alilke. I think he likes to use a lot of things or people that are unhuman that are weird or distorted. I also think that he really likes to use witches.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In most of Bradbury's books things are connected and relate to everything. It's amazing that he can always make a connectionand it doesn't ever seem forced.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think SWTWC and the "Illustrated Man" do link together. The Illustrated Man is similar to Mr. Dark. They make you think of each other. The Illustrated Man talked about his age (how he is old) and a witch, both of which have a part in SWTWC.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that they are both connected to each other. The illustrated man is mentioned in something wicked and he received all of his tattos from a witch at a traveling fair. I think that in a way all of Bradbury's works link together. He likes to use a lot of the same characters.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are connected too. I also agree with calichick that the Illustrated Man is a lot like Mr. Dark. It's like the language thing we talked about how Bradbury makes characters similar.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that they do have a connection. I have not read the Illustrated man but I think that the Illustrated Man is kind of a story more focused on that one character instead of in Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post