Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favorite Bradbury Quote

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Bradbury Quote
 Login/Join

posted
Tell me your favorite quote spoken or written in a story/ novel by Bradbury. I guess I don't have one yet. Sorry if there's already a discussion on this. Thanks.

Posts: 17 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland | Registered: 26 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi ZRTMWA,

Two of my favorites are:

From "Night Meeting", a passage really--"There was the smell of Time in the air tonight. He smiled and turned the fancy in his mind. There was a thought. What did Time smell like? Like dust and clocks and people. And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down on hollow box lids, and rain. And, going further, what did Time look like? Time looked like snow dropping silently into a black room or it looked like a silent film in an ancient theater, one hundred billion faces falling like those New York balloons, down and down into nothing. that was how Time smelled and looked and sounded. And tonight--Tomas shoved a hand into the wind outside the truck--tonight you could almost touch Time."

(And this might seem strange, but if you read Bradbury perhaps not.)

From The Ray Bradbury Companion by William F. Nolan, the introduction by Ray Bradbury The Inherited Wish: "I am one of those whose bloodstream, whose marrow, and whose soul has Wished him into existence."

Wow.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"One!?" It is possible...? Here, a few of my favorite lines from reads and re-reads.

"Walking? Just Walking!"

"It was a pleasure to burn."

"Gazelles! Antelopes!"

"The facts about John Huff, aged twelve, are simple and soon stated."

"When you're drinking these, remember: It was bottled by a friend.
The S.J. Jonas Bottling Company, Green Town, Illinois--August, 1928. A vintage year, boy...a vintage year."

"The Martians stared back up at them for a long, long silent time from the rippling water...."

"A cup of tea?" asked Wendy in the silence.

"Peekaboo!"

"No more space ship now. Never was any. No people. No people in all the universe. Never were any. No planets. No stars. No hands. Never had any. No feet. Never had any. No head. Nothing. Only space. Only space. Only the gap."

"They walked in the warm-cool blowing night on the silvered pavement and there was the faintest breath of fresh apricots and strawberries in the air, and he looked around and realized this was quite impossible, so late in the year."

"We never burned right."

"I'm being ironic. Don't interrupt a man when he is being ironic, it's not polite."

"It was October, a rare month for boys."

"TYME SEFARI INC.
SEFARIS TU ANY YEER EN THE PAST.
YU NAIM THE ANIMALL.
WEE TAEK YU THAIR.
YU SHOOT ITT.

"First you jump off the cliff and you build wings on the way down."

"Love what you do, and do what you love!"

(RB is Poetry in Motion!")

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything is love

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post