Ray Bradbury Forums
Bradbury's Feel-Good Stories

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/5321039901

12 May 2004, 06:13 AM
grasstains
Bradbury's Feel-Good Stories
In times when a little escapism is in order, when you just want Uncle Ray to take you away from all of life's ugliness, which of his stories would you immerse yourself into or recommend to another?

My favorite of his feel-good stories is PICASSO SUMMER. After I read that story I feel relaxed and contented, as well as inspired and invigorated.
12 May 2004, 07:01 AM
dandelion
"The Sound of Summer Running."
12 May 2004, 09:36 AM
Richard
My personal choice: "The Parrot Who Met Papa", which never fails to bring a smile to my face.
13 May 2004, 05:12 PM
Ettil
feel good stories? well, about all of dandelion wine. also, theres "R is for Rocket." and maybe uh...... hm........

strange, i cant think of any others.
13 May 2004, 05:36 PM
groon
How 'bout "the Million Year Picnic" or "The Toynbee Convector"?
13 May 2004, 09:21 PM
Nard Kordell
''''April Witch''''
15 May 2004, 06:44 AM
ravenswake
"The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair," from The Toynbee Convector.
15 May 2004, 01:33 PM
Ettil
the million year picnic, thats the one about the family going to mars when earth is ruined? that didnt make me happy...
16 May 2004, 06:17 AM
dandelion
Yes, and did you notice there was extreme trouble brewing? The one family had three boys and the other four girls. Unless one girl died or the other family managed to produce another boy, I sense heavy sibling rivalry brewing! (Worse if there was one boy none of the girls liked, and another that two or more liked.)
16 May 2004, 12:17 PM
Ettil
yes, i saw that too. or what if anybody was infertile? i always guessed that nature wouldnt let that kind of thing happen happen, unless it wanted humans to be extinct. very interresting...
16 May 2004, 02:35 PM
Mr. Dark
I also enjoy the Laurel and Hardy stories. I also enjoyed, as a light lark, "Junior".
16 May 2004, 10:38 PM
Green Shadow
"I Sing The Body Electric!" fits the bill for me, and the movie,"The Electric Grandmother" (based on the same story) is poignant and uplifting at the same time.

The song from "Fame," (The Body Electric) I guess, must have something to do with RB. Anyone know more?
16 May 2004, 10:55 PM
fjpalumbo
gs, A good question! There are many memorable s.s. and moments within novels, too.

For pure kindness and love from the heart - father (parent) to his family, "The Rocket" from I.M. The world needs more spirit like that of Fiorello Bodoni's.
17 May 2004, 05:06 AM
philnic
Green Shadow,

I don't know the song you refer to, but let's not forget that Bradbury took his title from Walt Whitman: http://www.bartleby.com/142/19.html

- Phil
18 May 2004, 01:20 PM
groon
Dandelion,
I guess I hadn't thought of that factor, I was thinking of the theme that despite all of man's failings, there was still a seed of hope for the future (as difficult as that future might be).