Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Short Story Title-Collection Name

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Story Title-Collection Name
 Login/Join

posted
I am looking for a story that I read in high school. I remember the story but not the title or collection.
In the future, at age five, you are hooked up to a machine and taught to read. This one little boy learns to read and wants to do something in geology, so he reads all he can about it. When he comes of age, he is hooked up to another machine to "bend" his brain to teach him the work he's going to do for his career. Everyone he knows is given this job or that but his brain won't bend and he is hauled off to what is like a group home. He goes through anger grief denial, etc. and then decides that since everyone likes to read and learn, that they should create new tapes to help teach people (for the machines)he then realizes that it is what everyone in the home actually does and that his mind is actually better than those whose minds were bent because he can learn anything he wants.
Not brief or to the point, but I hope someone has the answer for me. Thanks

Posts: 10 | Location: edgewater park, NJ, USA | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry, it may be by asimov, i really think it is by bradbury though. If anyone knows, please contact me.

Posts: 10 | Location: edgewater park, NJ, USA | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This answer is courtesy of R. M. Slepian by way of rec.arts.books.childrens at Google Groups:
I think this is "Profession" by Asimov (1957). It certainly matches most of the clues. It can be found online, at http://www.abelard.org/asimov.htm

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This reply came from Richard James by way of rec.arts.sf.written at Google Groups:
Definately Asimovs Profession to a T. Reading day is age 8 not 5. The protaganist George Platen wanted to be a programmer. It was his friend Stubby Trevelyan that wanted to be a Metallurgist.
Richard

This reply came from howard@brazee.net by way of rec.arts.sf.written at Google Groups:
I can't remember the title, but this is Asimov. Earth's major business is selling skills - and it needs some people to develop the skills.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in the posts someone had asked about RB Theater episodes and # of titles. Here is a source for those who are familiar with this program. (I do not find it being aired on cable anywhere at this time.)

Hint: Click on "Episode Guide" and then click "ALL" to get a complete 6 season listing, rather than going through each listing separately
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-3822/

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 02-06-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post