Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Can't think of the short story--help!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't think of the short story--help!
 Login/Join

posted
Ok, this was in a book of various short story collections from college (80's) and I believe it was from Bradbury. This was set in the future where all children that reached a certain age were required to take an exam. Throughout, the boy is asking questions to his parents to help him prepare and they continually give him the wrong answers. As it is assumed the boy is killed by the government at the end because he scored much higher than average and is considered a threat to humanity.

Posts: 3 | Location: Chicago Heights, IL, 60411 | Registered: 22 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a quite well-known Science Fiction story. I saw it on the new "Amazing Stories" done by Spielberg in the '80s. It isn't by Bradbury. May be by Harlan Ellison, but I somehow don't think so. I'll try to find out what it is and who wrote it.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story is "Examination Day" by Henry Slessar (that surname may be wrong, at least in spelling, but it's a name like that). It's a terrific story - nicely understated.

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are great!

Posts: 3 | Location: Chicago Heights, IL, 60411 | Registered: 22 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This message came from araber, "The Big Cheese" at www.thetzsite.com:

Actually, that was an episode of the New Twilight Zone, not Amazing Stories, and the title of it is "Examination Day." The child's name was Dickie Jordan. The author of the story in question is Henry Slesar, who was also the original author behind "The Self-Improvement of Salvadore Ross" and "The Old Man in the Cave." The story first appeared in Playboy Magazine in 1957 and has since appeared in the following books:
www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/...cgi?395613

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to think of a story that I think Bradbury wrote. It's about a man who travels into the future (30 years or so) and comes back to tell everyone that in the future the air is clean, the rivers aren't polluted, there's no smog, no poverty, etc, etc, etc. As the 30 years goes by, the society in fact does clean up the environment, stops poverty, and all the other ills of the world. At exactly 30 years they throw a huge event in anticipation of the time travelers's past self appearance. The countdown starts...3...2...1... nothing happens. The crowd looks to the time traveler who looks back and says, "I lied".

Anyway...it's bugging the heck out of me - could someone help me out?

Thanks!! =)

Posts: 1 | Location: Sherman Oaks, CA USA | Registered: 23 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That story is the Toynbee Convector.
We could do with someone like Craig Bennett Stiles about now!
What a difference some encouraging smoke, and mirrors could have on the outcome of our society!?
Too bad we don't have enough individuals concerned with life to dream of a better world, and make it so, than scrap for turf.
Yet there are many positive avenues opening up. F-451 has been a real success as a city wide read book, for the month of April in L.A.
Ray finally received his star on the Hollywood walk of Fame on of all days April Fools day. The only next best day to present him the star would have been October 31st, but they probably thought he would be up at the top of the stairs somewhere in a sheet scaring the grandkids, or in some rancid cellar, either way busy as usual on Halloween. Keep Chuggin Mr. Bradbury

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 04-23-2002).]

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have the short story examination day by slesar? I can't find it anywhere! everything is out of print.