Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Living in a Department Store...
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Living in a Department Store...
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Chap, many of my books are in unknown locations as my son and his wife & baby have moved in (shifting rooms - things in boxes, bins, etc. to make room).
BUT, I believe the tome referred to is "An Encyclopedia Of Modern American Humor'. Came out in the '50s. Now I have to go look for it!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Beave, I'm going to Mary Ellen Rogers' with Lumpy and Eddie. You'll just have to play with Whitey and Larry...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Larry Mondelloe is now an ex-safecracker serving time at San Quenten. He's out of the club now. Please don't call me Beave as now I'm 67 years old, although I still drink my milk directly from the jug. You may refer to me as Theodore "caffeine free" Cleaver. T.C.F.C. for short. I'm crestfallen with the news of Gus's incarceration for burning books. Who would have thunk it.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II:

Upon your mentioning Robert Benchley, I have to say I happened across a short movie of Benchley doing one his skits for film. And I was absolutely struck with the similiar demeanor and conduct of his person of that of actor Russell Crowe. If anyone was a secret father of Crowe, it would be Robert Benchley. And talking about similarities (as I am)...I was taken aback (that's the correct word, as it is used here, or will be used here )...at the facial similiarities of articifical heart inventor Dr. Jarvik, and the current President, George Bush. If one was to take photographs of their faces, and super- imposed them, there would be hardly a distinguishing difference...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, talking of similarities, watch Robert Morse in "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying". His look and even mannerisms in that must have inspired Jim Carrey in his early films.

posted Hide Post
What My Line? - most remembered fame for Bennet Cerf. We have this on our boys' reading shelf: Bennett Cerf's Book of Riddles.

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/4439/wml50.html

(If you move the rabbit ears and aluminim foil a bit, the pictures from the above site will come in more clearly!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s five down and thirty to go, panel. Now over to Miss Kilgallen.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the Twilight Zone and Quiz Shows, the First Season TZ DVD includes a couple of "Liar's Club" segments when hosted by Mr. Serling.

posted Hide Post
Boy, iz my spellin louzy todae. But, four sum reasun, I can't eddit from my lockation. ?? So, youl all have to put up withit. Haiste makes waiste!

Nice one, Chap 31!! I have an MP3 series of the old "You Bet Your Life" shows. Man, was Groucho sharp! He would have fit right in here.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I understand Ray made an appearance once on "You Bet Your Life." Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I just called Ray to say hello and mentioned that I had just finished a book called "Tracy and Hepburn" by Garson Kanin. He said that Garson got into trouble with her over the book and she wasn't happy with it. He reiterated that his new novel is the one he had written with Kathryn Hepburn in mind and that he got to know her quite well.

He had heard about the alligator attacks and his comment was "What a way to die!" I forgot to ask him about being on Groucho's show. When I asked him if he was feeling pretty good his comment was that he was getting his work done.

It's always a pleasure to visit with Ray although I keep the calls very brief.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451,
“I must say that I find television very educational. The minute someone turns it on, I go to the library and read a book.” – Groucho Marx

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ray Bradbury appeared on "You Bet Your Life" on May 24, 1956. Anyone who has a copy or source for one please advise.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandy, 5/24/56 - the collection I have is 100+ shows. Now I need to do some investigating and will let you know what turns up.

posted Hide Post
fjp451,
Please tell what set it is you have that is 100+ shows. I’d love to order that. I’ve tried to research were that Bradbury appearance is available with no luck so am very interested in the results you get.

posted Hide Post
Rats! I have an episode dated June 21, 1956. The secret word was HAND! Could it be that Ray hung around and might be seen in the audience?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post