Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favourite Story
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yes, this is actually a lot like a Howard Hawks film with everyone talking over each other. All we need now is an insolent woman. I love insolent women.

I think there�s a trolley in �I remember Mama�.

We were all having dinner over at a friend�s house once and they were playing a Rodney Dangerfield album while we were eating. I almost lost my dinner in one of their potted plants.

I don�t care what the critics said; I liked the movie �The Postman�.

�White with foam� indeed.

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"this is actually a lot like a Howard Hawks film with everyone talking over each other. All we need now is an insolent woman. I love insolent women."

To whom Cagney would promptly mash her mug with a grapefruit. Hey, isn't that Montgomery Cliff and James Dean getting all emotional in the corner. Poor guys, they're so fragile. Oh! Look, here comes a real man--Brando riding a streetcar to the waterfront, dressed in leather, and adorning a Fu Manchu moustache.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoo boy!
Yup, there's a trolley or two in "I Remember Mama" as it takes place in San Francisco. Great movie. Ellen Corby was mentioned awhile ago, and she played Aunt Trina who marries Edgar Bergen. I can hear Uncle Chris (Oskar Homolka) now, "A dowry?!"

AND here's Rodney: http://www.rodney.com/rodney/home/home.asp

Knowest thou whence cometh the aforesaid "white with foam" quote?

We do digress...Hee, hee!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Celluloid Heroes never really die" - Raymond Douglas Davies (The Kinks)

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that movie too, I must get it. Always used to see it on A.M.C. For some reason, that movie makes me think of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir which I love too. Maybe cause I used to see both on amc. Your right Grass about Postman, read it fairly fast for me. I think I relished that book in a different way than a Bradbury book. A Bradbury book = slow down and cherish every nuance and flavor, actually as Braling has mentioned, all the senses are involved in experiencing the story. Outside of R.B., I haven't read science fiction for some time. Now, I think I'm officially back in the fold. A book has to have certain criteria for me to really get into it, I'm sure thats true with everyone. Good plot, characters that you care about and can identify with, writing style that challenges intellectually, basically that good ol' x-factor that Mr. B has so much of. This book had it all for me. I like the post apocalyptic tales, this one is so viable and it moves in a fast pace. It takes you with it, like a torrid river. I finished it this evening. I have two other books by him,Startide Rising, and The Uplift War, but I have started I Robot by Asimov. I have the whole series. Also love time travel tales. Will get to Lost City soon, letcha know. Grass, glad your moving away from that rough neighborhood, the creek sounds real nice. I probably wouldn't last a day there. Good luck in your new home. Oh, and I liked the symbol for the reformed U.S., the eagle emerging from a pyre. I may get that put on an arm patch.

[This message has been edited by Robot Lincoln (edited 04-13-2006).]

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
�Trina. You timid. Peter timid. Not good both be timid�

Ellen Corby. There wasn�t a role she didn�t do well. In �It�s A Wonderful Life�, when she asks Jimmy Stewart for some money from the savings and loan, she adlibbed the amount and totally surprised Stewart. And no one could say, �You old fool!� like her.

�Good night, Esther.�
�Good night, you old fool!�

grasstains,
Check it out. All those Howard Hawks movies had �insolent women�. Lauren Bacall was the best but Angie Dickenson was another. The girl in �The Thing From Another World� (and yes, Hawks did direct that), the girl in �El Dorado�, �Red River��I could go on and on. I wouldn�t want to turn my back on any of them or get into a fencing match with one (unless I knew I had an advantage) but they would all rate a flower on their pillow every night. And I�ll bet they�re all excellent dancers too--the kind of woman that Heinlein populated most of his novels with.

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 04-13-2006).]

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AHA! Someone else who knows of the "Thing"/Hawks connection! I was impressed very early on by the overlapping dialogue - seemed like nobody else picked up on the fact that that's the way we talk in real life, like it or not! I got to meet George Fenneman (also not credited) and he was quite proud of the fact that he got to be the one that suggested electricity be tried to destroy the "thing". He also indicated that Howard Hawks did not want to have credit as director.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's "Clang, Clang, Clang, Went the Trolley" in "Meet Me in Saint Louis," and a great scene of a street car demolishing an automobile in the wonderful 1990 film "Avalon," which marked a very early appearance for Elijah Wood who has gone on to great things.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"All those Howard Hawks movies had �insolent women�. Lauren Bacall was the best but Angie Dickenson was another."

I'd take Myrna Loy in my corner over them anyday. She was kinda clumsy at times but always came through in the pinch. How many times did she save William Powell's *butt?

*edited

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 04-14-2006).]

posted Hide Post
Doesn't Spock ride on a Trolley in ST IV (The Voyage Home)?

That's my new exclamation of surprise--"SPOCK ON A TROLLEY!!!"

posted Hide Post
grasstains,
You nailed that one. I had completely forgotten about Myrna Loy. I loved her in the Thin Man films. She was THE insolent woman.

Oh, I can�t forget Kate. �Christopher Columbus!�

posted Hide Post
Rosalind Russell in HIS GIRL FRIDAY was a handful, too. That movie pretty much epitomizes the frantic dialogue style.

posted Hide Post
Yup. Machine Gun patter they called it.

[This message has been edited by Chapter 31 (edited 04-14-2006).]

posted Hide Post
"Mars is Heaven", although the trolley story is certainly right up there...

Posts: 3 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness someone got back to the original topic.

Two good choices. Two of my favorites too.