Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favourite Story
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You can say that again. This makes me wonder, how many places, plays, books/stories and films can one think of that have something to do with trolleys/streetcars?

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your a good string-starter, Chap.

Stelllllllllaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Mr. Roger's had a great trolley, nice sounding bells.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love those bells.

�Ricearoni, the San Francisco Treat�

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really had to laugh when the Transit System in good old Walla Walla went for trolley-shaped-and-painted buses! Still think of Ray whenever I see one!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's the killer chase scene in THE ROCK with a runaway trolley.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robo,

I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC has one of my favorite Bradbury stories in it, "The Lost City Of Mars". I've always wondered why this one is never mentioned around here, except by me. Is there something to it that most other fans dislike about it? This passage - "I see", said the poet. "I do begin to see. I begin to know what this and what used for, for such as me, the poor wandering idiots of a world, confused, and sore put upon by mothers as soon as dropped from wombs, insulted with Christian guilt, and gone mad from the need of destruction, and collecting a pittance of hurt here and scar tissue there, and a larger portable wife grievance beyond, but one thing sure, we do want to die, we do want to be killed, and here's the very thing for it, in convenient quick pay! So pay it out, machine, dole it out, sweet raving device! Rape away, Death! I'm your very man." - is priceless

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion,
��no matter how you look at it [or paint it or shape it] a bus ain�t a trolley.� Wow, he truly got that right. Smelly things those buses.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've never figured that one out--how come they (buses) smell so bad and still put out that plume of black smoke when they claim to be "Clean Air Vehicles"? At least here in California.

posted Hide Post
C-31,

I skimmed through the hardback copy of "Canticle" that I recently "upgraded" to and couldn't find that great passage about "Are we doomed to repeat our past transgressions and destroy ourselves over, and over again?" I think it was at the beginning or the end of a chapter in the old paperback I used to have. Maybe the novel kicked off with that passage? Makes me mad, some upgrade!

I did find the part about the colonists taking to the stars, and each race wanting to have a bigger representation than the previous. Miller said because of a limited gene pool among the stars, the racists actually GUARANTEED inter-breeding. Cool, huh?

My paperback is packed away, I think, and I might find it after unpacking in about three weeks. We're moving to a very nice apartment complex with a creek not 100 hundred yards from our front door. YEE HAW!!! "Movin on up!" Out of the ghetto. Three seperate murders last week in this neighborhood, in two days. We are SO out-of-here.

Robo,

Oregon is also the setting in THE POSTMAN. I'm not sure I've ever heard of SEVEN FROM OREGON... what is it? Is it the old story about the pioneer family, ala LITTLE HOUSE?

posted Hide Post
Grassy, it's "Seven For Oregon" and it's written by none other than our own Dandelion. I hope to be able to tell exactly what it's about in the very near future!

I definitely have to get a new copy of "Electric" now since mine's gone missing and I remember that "Lost City" story as being great. Is that the one in which several very different characters (including an old actress, I think) are all on a Martian canal boat?

God be with you on your move! I hope I never have to do that again. It's got to be one of the most stressful things one can do, especially with a family.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't recall having read "The Postman"...
"...ask the postman, ask the mailman, ask the milkman - white with foam!..."

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright, you all are going to have to stop talking at once, its giving me a meltdown. Haven't gotten to Lost City of Mars yet, it may be the catalyst I need to speed it up just a notch. I think you'd like The Postman, B-Two. Post apocalyptic guy who normally tells stories and acts out Shakespheare gets looted of all his belongings and gets left in the mountains of Oregon. He is getting ready to freeze to death when he stumbles upon an old mail truck with a skeleton inside. He ends up spending the night wrapped up in mail bags, then he takes the uniform and cap of the dead postman and a few bags of mail, and proceeds to use this as an excuse to get food and shelter. As he is pretending there is a reformed U.S. back east and actually recruiting people to deliver new mail to distant towns, it starts to domino and gets very deep and interesting, not to mention intense.

Chapter 31, remember The Doris Day show?

I think The Streets of San Francisco had Michael Douglas getting off a trolley in the intro, not positive on that.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B-II,

Yes, that's the story. You see??? You hardly remember it. Why? No respect, that story gets no respect.

Robo,

THE POSTMAN is such a quick read because it's hard to stop. You get caught up in the "Restored United States Of America" hoax and start believing it yourself. But, there were times I really wanted to SHOUT!!! at Gordon, thinking I could see things coming that he couldn't. That's getting caught up in a book. GREAT BOOK.

I haven't seen the movie either. I hope LONG'S DRUGS has it. I boycott the other video rental places for putting all the Mom & Pops' shops out of business. Now NETFLIX is doing the same thing to them. HA!!!

posted Hide Post
Grassy, you sound like Rodney Dangerfield! I meant no disrespect and I'll read it when I get it again. Looking forward to it, actually as, as I said I remember it as being a great story!
"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot...
but I always found 'em!"

posted Hide Post
B-II,

Do you remember the HBO Rodney Dangerfield Live show from the 80s? I'd love to find that. I read in ROLLING STONE magazine that it's available on DVD now. That performance was the greatest example of improvisation I've ever seen. I remember the best part being when he takes on a heckler and rips the poor guy to shreds for what seemed like about 10 minutes of non-stop banter.