Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Please help me find two stories

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please help me find two stories
 Login/Join

posted
I remember two Bradbury stories from my childhood and am desperate to find them in print. The problem is, I have no idea what they are called. One is the story where it rains all the time and a girl gets shut in a closet on one sunny day, and the other is about scientists (on Jupiter? Saturn? not sure) who keep dissapearing, until it emerges that they are turning into doglike creatures who don't want to return.

Does anyone know which anthology(ies) they appear in?

Posts: 2 | Location: Pacifica, CA USA | Registered: 04 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first is "All Summer in a Day" by Ray Bradbury, which appears in many anthologies and collections. It's asked about a lot so the collections should already be listed in a thread here.

The only Bradbury story I can name remotely like the second is "Subterfuge," a rare tale which has been anthologized only and never appeared in a Bradbury collection. That was about scientists meeting an invasion of Earth from Venus, though, not scientists on Venus. Perhaps someone remembers another story either by Ray or another author which may match yours more closely.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. As for the second story, I am pretty sure it definitely took place on either Saturn or Jupiter. I suppose there is a possibility that it was not a Bradbury story, but I was pretty sure it was.

It is a lovely story. The scientists think that something horrible is happening to their collegues, who keep going out of the space ship and not returning; until one of them (whose viewpoint we share) goes out and realizes that they are not returning because, by adapting to the harsh Saturnian environment, they turn into graceful, lithe creatures, and it feels so wonderful, he cannot fathom returning to his clumsy human form. Very Bradbury-ian.

Posts: 2 | Location: Pacifica, CA USA | Registered: 04 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, couldn't be Dark They were, And Golden-Eyed, could it?
But then, there aren't any scientists involved and the setting is Mars. But the settlers do turn into lithe, dark and golden-eyed beings by being affected by the martian environment. The story's main character settles there with his family and is very sceptical towards these changes as soon as he starts noticing them...
As you first mentioned dog-like creatures I thought, it couldn't be this one at all, though it was the first story that came to my mind.
Anyway, I found it in the collection "A Medicine for Melancholy And Other Tales" (Perennial, 2001)

Posts: 59 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first one was "All Summer in a Day." It was in my 6th grade literature book. I have not seen it anywhere else. Sorry.

Posts: 12 | Location: Andover, Kansas, USA | Registered: 06 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All Summer In A Day is available online at this URL: http://www.westhillweb.com/academics/media/2004RayBradburystories.htm

As for the other story: I don't what it is, but it is not "Subterfuge."

Posts: 1 | Registered: 26 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other story is Desertion, by Clifford A. Simak. Can be found in his book "City." (And they're on Jupiter.)

Posts: 4 | Location: Philadelphia, PA US | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Desertion" is one of the finest, most superb stories of all my favorites. The man and his dog were both converted into Lopers, the native sentient life form.

"Save your freedom. If anyone tells you you may not read Harry Potter because of 'witchcraft', run! Shun him. He's a Fireman."

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oldguy and dragonfly,
“City” is one of THE science fiction classics. But just for clarity, oldguy, in case someone has trouble looking up the author’s name, it’s not Clifford “A” but Clifford D. Simak. Welcome to the booboo club. See you around the campfires.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post