Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Time is all we have...any minute.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time is all we have...any minute.
 Login/Join

posted
Barnaby Conrad quotes one of RB's wonderful Christmas poems in his book Time is all we have. The theme is being able to relive one minute of life after being long dead and which minute one would choose.The answer is "any minute" I would like to find a text of this poem and the title. Thanks for any help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've heard Bradbury talk about the one minute scenario on several occasions, but never in the context of a poem. So I'd be interested as well to hear what became of it.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer to the question, but I do know that Bradbury traditionally sends a poem to his friends at Christmas, and many of these have never been published... so you may have trouble locating it!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just found these 2 older posts that are useful:

V. Lee
Posted 30 November 2003 04:57 PM
I am trying to locate a newspaper article by Ray Bradbury that begins

Imagine you have been dead for a hundred years, no a thousand ...

I believe it may have been titled

An Epilouge for Christmas

It was in a syndicated column that was published in the 1980's

I read it when I was young and have been looking for it ever since.

If anyone knows where or how I can find it please let me know.

Posts: 2 | Location: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: 30 November 2003
Richard
Posted 30 November 2003 08:30 PM Hide Post
You are looking for a beautiful poem by Ray called, "Imagine". I personally find it one of his most inspiring and moving, truly celebrating his love and zest for life. I never saw it in a newspaper. However, I believe it was used by Ray for one of his annual Christmas cards. It was also published as a limited edition broadside, signed by both Ray and artist Joseph Mugnaini, and published by Herb Yellin's Lord John Press. The Press may still have copies available. You can contact Lord John Press at the address and phone number noted on its website. Just click on the link below:
http://www.lordjohnpress.com/

I'll keep searching...

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The poem you are looking for is "Imagine", which remains one of my very favorites of all of Ray's poetry. However, it is quite difficult to find, as it has never been included in one of Ray's poetry collections. Unless you can find a copy of Ray's annual Christmas card in which it appeared, another alternative would be to find a copy of the Lord John Press signed and numbered broadside that re-printed the poem. There is currently a copy available on the Advanced Book Exchange website for (hold your breath) $320. If you are at all interested, click on the link below, and type in Ray Bradbury as the author and the word "Imagine" as your book title in your search.

http://www.abebooks.com

Posts: 2440 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't remember how I acquired a copy of this item, but I do own the piece in question and noted on the ABEBOOKS reference. Mine is not framed, is a poster (Broadside) and is, in fact signed by both Mugnani and Bradbury. I guess I had better have it framed?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
I guess I had better have it framed?

I would.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've discovered that I have a copy of the poem, from the Bradburys' Christmas greetings of 1982. It is untitled (apart from "Christmas Greetings 1982").

mrflc (and Nard, and anyone else who is interested), if you'd care to contact me privately (email, through my website), I'd be happy to answer any questions about the text.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post