Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clarisse
 Login/Join

posted
In regards to the re-make of Fahrenheit 451, do you think Clarisse should die a sudden, violent death like in the novel or should she live on as a main character like she did in Truffaut's version of the movie?

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally, a film of a book should remain faithful to its source; to do otherwise is an insult to the author (look at the mangled mess that is the film of THE ILLUSTRATED MAN). Naturally, translating a novel into a film requires adjustments to the story structure etc. but a filmmaker should never betray the spirit of the original story (eg. Renny Harlin wanting to remove the butterfly from A SOUND OF THUNDER !!). So, to answer your question: no, such a major plot/characterisation change should NOT take place, when (if?) F.451 is re-filmed.

* Have you noticed that the wife in "Skeleton" is also named Clarisse?

[This message has been edited by crumley (edited 04-14-2002).]

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, I was actually at a screening of the Truffaut version today that Ray himself introduced. His feeling was that Truffaut's decision to save Clarisse and let her live among the book people was brilliant -- he said he wished he had thought of it. Personally, I would like the story to make it *seem* that Clarisse had been killed, then, in the end, surprise us with her appearance in the forest. (I'd also make her a little older so that there would be a romantic tension between her and Montag. He, after all, is desperately ill for intimacy. That would make their reunion all the sweeter.)

Posts: 22 | Location: San Pedro, CA | Registered: 05 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I agree, killing the girl is a downer and also kind of a cliche. Convincingly having her disappear and turn up alive is much more satisfying and harder to write! Not sure I agree about the age thing. Seventeen is such a special age for unorthodox, alternative thinking. An older person would be already brainwashed or have to make serious adjustments for her differences.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As much as I love the character of Clarisse, I think her untimely death sets the novel in motion, escalates the conflict.
Her sacrificial death spurs Montag's metamorphosis and, for that, she is saintly, altruistic, legendary.
In short, I would not alter the novel's perfection in the re-make of Fahrenheit 451.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that the novel is en extremely lovely and peotic work, and to do much change to it kind of ruins the first impression left on many of us bradbury fans. However, I am always excited when a movie is made based off of a book I love, even when the movie doesn't do the book justice. If the movie does capture the minds of its audience, and gets them interested in reading the book, then i say have at. It is always worth it to see movie goers with their nose burried a book that a movie inspired them to read and thinking "Wow! This is even better than the movie!"

So if the aforementioned change in the content, along with any other changes, can be pulled off well without ruining the meaning behind the novel, while appealing to a very large audience, then please do it. Though it may anger or dissapoint the ture bradbury fans, it will also bring many more readers to our table of discussion.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just came across this, and found some of the info presented here pertaining to the movie, 'Fahrenheit 451' ...interesting as well as stuff I didn't know.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086336/trivia

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, that link is to a Something Wicked This Way Comes page (not F451)!

(The SWTWC trivia page includes some misrepresentation of Bradbury's view of the film. It states that Disney made changes that Bradbury and Clayton were unhappy with. In fact, it was Clayton's version that was a flop with preview audiences. Disney then took Bradbury's advice on fixing the film. The final version is effectively Bradbury's attempt to repair the Clayton version. If I could be bothered to log on to IMDB, I would correct these errors!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post