Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Montag Kill Beatty
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montag Kill Beatty
 Login/Join

posted
Captain Beatty is killed by Montag. We can theorize that Montag had a choice: he could have let Beatty live?
Do you think Montag made the right decision in Killing Beaty? When thinking about your answer, be sure to think about Beatty's accions, what he said, and how Bradbury describes him. Also, think about Montag's accions and how Bradbury describes him.Could somebody give page # when you support your examples?

I hope get helpfull answer from you guys!!!

thanks

Posts: 3 | Location: Peru | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to consider whether it was self-defense or just revenge.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it was just only self defense What you think Why?

Posts: 3 | Location: Peru | Registered: 01 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to believe Montag thought he'd never be free or safe while Beatty was alive. Therefore, self-defense.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Montag's tangled life appear new guide, is professor Faber. Which show to Montag new world and new life. But Beatty still had a great authority in the Montag's mind. And he don't want to let go Montag.
Death of Beatty is way to Mantag's freedom. Monteg have no intelligence power yet to resist Beatty's philosophy.

Sorry, for my bad English

Posts: 30 | Location: Russian Federation, Taganrog | Registered: 03 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After Montag kill Beatty realizes that Beatty want to died. Is that true?
What are your thoughts?

posted Hide Post
Could be. Suicide by goading desperate man with flamethrower.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by der Schnaps:
In Montag's tangled life appear new guide, is professor Faber. Which show to Montag new world and new life. But Beatty still had a great authority in the Montag's mind. And he don't want to let go Montag.
Death of Beatty is way to Mantag's freedom. Monteg have no intelligence power yet to resist Beatty's philosophy.

That's a good point, that Montag had to kill Beatty before Beatty used his crazy logic on Montag, before he could seduce montag back again.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We seem to be assuming Montag had or made a choice. Perhaps it was a crime of passion and he didn't factor in a strategy for his freedom or to circumvent logic persuasion. Perhaps he just went mad for a moment and lashed out in pure, raw emotion.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
We seem to be assuming Montag had or made a choice. Perhaps it was a crime of passion and he didn't factor in a strategy for his freedom or to circumvent logic persuasion. Perhaps he just went mad for a moment and lashed out in pure, raw emotion.

I don't think so. May be it's look like ordinarily crime, but F451 it is art literary work. There is many metaphors.

Posts: 30 | Location: Russian Federation, Taganrog | Registered: 03 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it's a flamethrower torching described in an artistic way, but I think the question is would the situation constitute justifiable homicide in real life?

posted Hide Post
I think it was revenge because he thoroughly toasted Beatty, and I think Ray took revenge on him, too, because he thoroughly described the toasting.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
revenge for what?

posted Hide Post
Both his actions (Montag) and his attitude (Bradbury).

posted Hide Post
Only moments earlier, Montag had destroyed the physical remnants of his past (and empty) life: his house and everything in it. From the beginning of the book, Montag has come undone. At one point (forget what page) he says, "I don't know anything." Torching his house a step toward his unmaking himself. And torching Beatty is another step. Beatty represents the ideology that Montag unquestioningly embraced for his whole life, and when Montag torches him...

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post