Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Martian Chronicles Movie
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles Movie
 Login/Join

posted
Was ther ever a movie made of The Martian Chronicles?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, miniseries, 1980, took some liberties with the book. Bradbury told them not to air it because it was boring, but of course they did anyway. He's currently trying to get it done right.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Do you know if that version is available on VHS or DVD?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon.com lists the 1980 TV-miniseries with "limited availability," new and used, so you may or may not be able to get it. They also have one possibly compiled from episodes of "Ray Bradbury Theater" which proved far from pleasing to his fans:

Chronicles-Martian Episodes (1985)
List Price: $9.98
Our Price: $9.98
Used Price: $2.50
Availability: Usually ships within 12 to 14 days

Rated: NR
Director:�William Fruet,�Tom Cotter

From Our Marketplace Sellers:
3 used from $2.50

Buy Chronicles-Martian Episodes with Something Wicked This Way Comes VHS Tape today!
Buy Together Today: $19.97
Edition Details:
� NTSC format (US and Canada only)
��Color, Closed-captioned, NTSC
��ASIN: 6302859816

Low budget film but worth watching, July 6, 2000
Reviewer: Ian Lockyer from Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
An extremely low budget and cheap film. It is divided into 5 mini stories based on Bradburys Martian Chronicles. It is no where near as good as the original Chronicles starring Rock Hudson.

Cheap and unnecessary, November 30, 1999
Reviewer: Carsten Feldmueller from Germany
I remember the "Martian Chronicles" with Rock Hudson, Maria Schell and others and I'm still waiting for a re-release of this mini-series. I bought "The Martian episodes" instead and it's nothing but a cheap and unnecessary remake. Sci-Fi Fans will maybe enjoy it, but there is certainly better stuff on the market !

Awful. Worst movie ever., November 4, 1999
Emily Corral from San Clemente, California
This movie kills the objective of the book.

This TV movie is a very good presentatio of Bradbury's book., July 8, 1999
Reviewer: Charlie Dugan from Oklahoma
I remember seeing the Martian chronicles when first it aired on Television as a mini-series. I never thought that any one could accurately put Bradbury's poetic vision of Martian colonization and the end of the earth on celuloid. This film does an admirable job of presenting Bradbury's vision. Although there are a few scenes that some might consider to be slightly campy, overall, the film is haunting and poetic. The mini-series does what no single movie could have. For any Bradbury fan, it is a welcome gift to see his words translated to screen, as they have rarely been done in the past.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the Martian Chronicles mini-series when it first aired some years back and thought how good it was. Since then, the Sci-Fi network has re-run it a couple of times and I can now see how poorly a lot of the stories were done and how bad some of the acting was...as far as special effects...forget it...not wothr mentioning.
But if they were to re-do the book to screen now, with all the computer imaging technology they have... i can only imagine a feast for the eyes and the soul! If there is an undertaking to re-do the book, I wish them well.
It couldn't possibly be worse than the original.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In all fairness, while the Rock Hudson version of the Martian Chronicals were mostly poor there were a couple of stories that I did like (although I don't remember the names of those particular ones), esp. the one where the lost martian takes on the persona of someones dead son.

In Canada a few of these short stories were refilmed for the "Ray Bradbury" theatre, tv series. I much enjoyed them.

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YOUTUBE has a 9 minute segment of ~The Martian Chronicles~. No idea how this copyright stuff works here. Still the Wild West out there.

The movie was made in 1980. The scene you are about to see takes place in 2007.

click on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_ELmzE_tg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know how the so-called "novel" could be done in any way other than the mini-series format. It's far too episodic to be done as a bigscreen motion picture. FAHRENHEIT 451, on the other hand, would be marvelous.

Just got an idea for a new topic. See ya there.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<usernameOWNED>
posted
OMG MARZION CRONICKLES MOVEEE OMG

(Remainder deleted.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HarperCollins has been notified about posters who create problems on this board. UsenerameOWNED will be removed shortly and personal credentials already in the system disallowing him from further access to this website even with another username.

Due to the fact that teachers and students across America and overseas use this board for information pertaining to Ray Bradbury, all juvenile postings will be deleted by HarperCollins.

Future posters should be allowed only with proper email info readily accessible by the general viewer.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And don't let the door hit you on the way out!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, he's kind of entertaining!

In a vulgar sort of way.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:

Have you forgotten? This is why we closed the old Bradbury website down and are moving all the postings over to this new one. These guys will be stopped in their tracks at the front door from now on and never invited in. All this is to be in place during the first week of December

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't forgotten.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, LibRArY! Sounds like while I was merely cleaning up the mess, you did something to prevent it!