Ray Bradbury Forums
Hard To Find Books

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/4981049901

10 June 2004, 06:55 PM
TaoistBoy
Hard To Find Books
Hey i am looking for copies of R is for Rocket, and S is for Space, can anyone help me out on that one??? Thanks
10 June 2004, 07:07 PM
Richard
I suggest you do a book search on ABE. You can find usually copies ranging from expensive, hardcover first editions to inexpensive, beat-up paperbacks, from booksellers all over the country. Here is a link to their website:
http://www.abebooks.com
10 June 2004, 08:54 PM
TaoistBoy
Thank you for the website
05 July 2004, 10:30 PM
Miss Piggy
Question about Dark Carnival. There is the first edition- really expensive, and a 2001 edition -around $150. Is there a difference?
06 July 2004, 02:12 AM
Richard
Yes, the more recent Gauntlet Press edition has different cover art (drawn by Ray himself), includes intoductions to each story with Ray's thoughts about that story, and has several other "bonus" features, including some stories not in the original edition. It is signed by both Ray and author Clive Barker. It's also a lot cheaper than the Arkham House first edition from 1947!
09 August 2004, 07:52 PM
Tilt Boss
Speaking of rare books, I found a treasure the other day. Well, a treasure to me, at least.

1959, First Edition Hardback, pristine condition copy of "A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume One", edited by Anthony Boucher.

A real find for a true, old school pulp fan.

AND it contains a story by Ray that I haven't read. Way kewl.

Clay
09 August 2004, 10:25 PM
lmskipper
Tilt Boss--So what was the story? And congratulations on the great find!
10 August 2004, 04:18 PM
redjellydonut
Yeah, I'm curious to know what story is in there as well.

By the way, Powell's Books might be a pretty good resource for find r is for..and s is for... I'd give anything to have kept the old bradbury paperbacks I had as a kid. Not because they're worth anything but because they were so cool. Good luck.
10 August 2004, 05:07 PM
Gothic
I own 60 Arkhams or so, but an affordable copy of Dark Carnival has always eluded me. Pretty soon it'll be so expensive as to be downright unaffordable. That Gauntlet Press edition sounds like a treat. Can anyone tell me what Ray has to say about "Skeleton" and "Let's play Poison"?

[This message has been edited by Gothic (edited 08-10-2004).]
10 August 2004, 08:21 PM
Tilt Boss
The title of the story is "Pillar of Fire", copyright 1948 by Fiction House, Inc. Reprinted at the time by permission of The Harold Matson Company.
11 August 2004, 05:14 AM
grasstains
Tilt Boss:

Big cowinkidink. I found the same book just last Friday at a used bookstore for $4.00. I've had vol.2 for several years, but vol.1 had always managed to elude me. So I too was quite excited at having finally found it.
15 August 2004, 11:07 AM
Tilt Boss
quote:
Originally posted by grasstains:
Tilt Boss:

Big cowinkidink. I found the same book just last Friday at a used bookstore for $4.00. I've had vol.2 for several years, but vol.1 had always managed to elude me. So I too was quite excited at having finally found it.

Man, I thought I was the last man on Earth to say "cowinkidink"!

Ironically, I can't find Vol. 2. I wasn't impressed by "Pillar of Fire" all that much. It had a different voice than what I am used to.

Picked up "The Machineries of Joy" yesterday, in paperback. I've read only a few of the stories previously, so I am looking forward to it.

Clay
16 August 2004, 01:14 AM
dandelion
quote:
Originally posted by Tilt Boss:
Man, I thought I was the last man on Earth to say "cowinkidink"!

Clay

Well, Craig on "Malcolm in the Middle" said it, if he counts as a "man."
16 August 2004, 11:15 AM
Braling II
I've been checking out "The Ray Bradbury Theater" films from the local library (most of these are quite well done) and came across one called "Gotcha!". The first part of this reminds me of "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair", but it ends very creepily. I've poked around and found that "Gotcha!" is listed as one of the stories in "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" collection. Does anyone out there know if it's part of another (perhaps earlier) collection? I'm curious to read it and compare it with the film version.
16 August 2004, 11:29 AM
philnic
Braling II,

To date, "Gotcha" has only been collected in "The Stories of Ray Bradbury".

The RB Theater episode does begin like "The Laurel & Hardy Love Affair"; this material is not in the short story of "Gotcha". The chronology is roughly as follows:

1978 Gotcha published in magazine

late 1987 Laurel & Hardy Love Affair published in magazine

early 1988 RB Theater adaptation of Gotcha appears

My theory is that when adapting "Gotcha" for the screen, Ray invented the Laurel & Hardy material, subsequently using it as the basis of a new short story.

- Phil