Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    I just fell in love with Mr Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just fell in love with Mr Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
Finished Fahrenheit 451 5 minutes ago

someone please direct me to something equally monolithic in genius

Reflection is useless, the world is senseless. Evil is its only permanence. God is not alive. Love cannot be trusted. Surface, surface, surface was all that anyone found meaning in...this was civilization as I saw it, colossal and jagged.

Posts: 8 | Location: Manchester, UK | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Patrick_Bateman, and welcome. If you're looking for something comparable to F451 - specifically something that fits your final paragraph/signature - I can only suggest Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

If you're looking for suggestions of more Bradbury in a similar vein, I can suggest the short stories "The Pedestrian", "The Veldt", "There Will Come Soft Rains" and possibly "A Sound of Thunder".

My website (see link below) has a Bradbury Short Story Finder which will help you locate them.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naturally I've read 1984

I was asking for more works by Bradbury or authors of a similar style.

Thanks for the recommendations

Reflection is useless, the world is senseless. Evil is its only permanence. God is not alive. Love cannot be trusted. Surface, surface, surface was all that anyone found meaning in...this was civilization as I saw it, colossal and jagged.

Posts: 8 | Location: Manchester, UK | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick_Bateman:
Naturally I've read 1984

I was asking for more works by Bradbury or authors of a similar style.

Thanks for the recommendations

It si not quite on point but among Ray's favorite authors are H.G. Wells, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Edgar Allan Poe and John Collier.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poe is difficult reading in my experience

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick_Bateman:
...this was civilization as I saw it, colossal and jagged.

Don't you mean civilisation?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Don't you mean civilisation?

Patrick might mean civilisation, being from the UK, but he appears to be quoting from Bret Easton Ellis's AMERICAN Psycho [emphasis added].

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug, I judge you for not recognising the quote

I mean my screen name is even that of the protagonist.

God judges you as well.

posted Hide Post
Funny man. No, I haven't read it.

Americans!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrick,

I think I came to Bradbury by way of Farenheit 451 as well. I saw your post and joined the RayBradburyBoard just so I could respond. Because the subject line of this forum describes my sentiments, exactly.

Please read Dandelion Wine. You will sink in it like so much quicksand, yet every breath you take will be all the clearer.

Also, I would recommend Green Shadows, White Whale, about Mr Bradbury's time in Ireland (the home of my ancestors) writing the screenplay for Moby Dick. It is one of my favorite favorites.

Also, October Country is eerie and alive and chills you in a way that makes your heart yearn for forever.

Martian Chronicles! Of course! How could I forget? Yes, yes. I am the biggest fan of Bradbury but rarely science fiction. Strange how he can paint language and leave you with the truth that shines though. Genreless. Genrencompassing. Oh, but yes. Get your hands on a copy.

No need for literary judgment here. We are all admirers of an art, no matter how our memory may serve us in the present moment.

These are just my Bradbury favorites. Take them or leave them, but I will take them!
Happy reading!

Posts: 1 | Location: Prince George, VA | Registered: 19 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CABLAN:
Martian Chronicles! Of course! How could I forget? Yes, yes. I am the biggest fan of Bradbury but rarely science fiction. Strange how he can paint language and leave you with the truth that shines though. Genreless. Genrencompassing. Oh, but yes. Get your hands on a copy. These are just my Bradbury favorites. Take them or leave them, but I will take them!

I shall take them as well! Especially The Martian Chronicles, my favourite book. But it's not science fiction, you know, but fantasy.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Arthur Clarke wrote some amazing stories. If you read his Odyssey series you'll definitely be able to see the similarities Big Grin
While Bradbury wrote about the degenerative side of society, Clarke wrote about the advance side of it. Songs of a Distant Earth, Childhood's End, and The Hammer of God are all great stories if you liked Fahrenheit 451.

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
F451 - specifically something that fits your final paragraph/signature - I can only suggest Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Before I fell in love with libraries, I was just a six-year-old boy. ..... One of the performers was Mr. Electrico. He sat in an electric chair.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Arna,

DONE

Posts: 1 | Registered: 02 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arna, meet Karen. Karen, meet Arna. Oh, you already know one another?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
The Hammer of God

I agree that these are great stories. The Hammer of God is one of my favorite. Do you guys have favorites that you would recommend. I am always looking for something of this nature. How do the publishers make sure that they are protected from copyright infringement? Do they have a intellectual property attorney on staff or do they outsource this? What do you guys know?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mattbrady,

Posts: 3 | Registered: 01 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post