Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    My love for Stephen King
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My love for Stephen King
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Stephen King once said, in very close to these words, that of three emotions which could be evoked in horror fiction, "The finest is terror. If I can't achieve terror, I try for horror. If I can't achieve horror, I'm not proud; I go for the gross-out."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Stephen King's moderator comments that's the first time that theory has been brought to her attention!

i have to say im surprised by this, its not too hard to see that stephen king was probly picked on and bullied when he was a kid and possibly abused/molested.

Jon

Posts: 40 | Location: st.cloud, MN, USA | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: Heinlein -- I've devoured his material because some of it is so brilliant. I haven't seen anyone here recommend my favorite of his so if you have any interest please try on THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS. Absolutely brilliant, hilarious, heartfelt, and a terrific political commentary for any time. Be warned, the ending brings me to tears every time.

One thing I feel about about Heinlein's stories, the above notwithstanding, is so many start out with such promise and then don't go anywhere, and the endings can be disappointing. I also haven't come to appreciate the Lazarus Long stories for the most part, so it's clearly a matter of personal taste.

Mike

Posts: 11 | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amendment to my previous post. I just realized a number of above posts were by Mycroft. Is it possible you chose your user name based on Mike in The Moon is a Harsh Mistress?

Mike D

posted Hide Post
nah, its sherlock holmes' brother. sorry

[This message has been edited by Mycroft (edited 12-09-2004).]

Jon

Posts: 40 | Location: st.cloud, MN, USA | Registered: 08 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, that makes sense. That's where Mike's name came from as well.