Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    MICHAEL MOORE SAYS IT ALL: I'M SORRY !
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MICHAEL MOORE SAYS IT ALL: I'M SORRY !
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Is that right about HG and US copyright? He's still in copyright here in the UK. We've traditionally had a provision that protects a work throughout a writer's life, and extends for a fixed period after his or her death. Can't remember the details, unfortunately.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under the Copyright Act of 1976 (effective 1978), the maximum length of a copyright was the life of the author plus 50 years, or 75 years, whichever was shorter.

The Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act of 1998 added 20 years to both of those; i.e., life of the author plus 70 years, or 95 years, whichever is shorter.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it THE LIFE OF THE AUTHOR PLUS 75 years? What is it now (since 1998)?

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could have sworn I answered both of those questions in my last post . . .

But if you don't believe me, here are links to the U.S. Copyright Office:

Duration of copyright.
New terms for copyright protection.

The "95 years from year of publication" rule applies to works published before 1978 that were still under copyright in 1978. Life of the author plus 70 years (or 95 years from year of publication for corporate works) applies to works published since Jan. 1, 1978.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walloon,

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post