Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Wicked is as Wicked does

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wicked is as Wicked does
 Login/Join

posted
What is the most "Wickedest" part of Something Wicked This Way Comes

Kali

Posts: 15 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it gets pretty intense in the last few chapters--48-50. I thought the suspense was alittle far fetched- but very entertaining

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the most wicked parts are all the associations you can make. I can relate so many stories or symbols to real life...and it jsut amazes me at the talents and powers of methaphors and symbols.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the most wickedest thing is the whole age Factor!! If you were to dream of an age you would want to be, and go into a mirror maze to make it come true, why would you even do that? Then, going onto the merry-go-round to make it stay permanent, why would you want to make that age permanent? What if we could just live that age for however long we would like to, then go back to the age we were... It's just food for thought... Any ideas?

posted Hide Post
age -- good point-- I don't want to be old any faster than I can!

posted Hide Post
For me, it is in the library, when they are sucking the life out of Charles Halloway. I can actually FEEL him aging. I can FEEL his fear. I can FEEL his dispair. And they just keep tearing at him. It is pure horror. No blood, but the reality of the power of regret to sap away one's life. To me, a very, very powerful scene. I have had to live with some regrets, and I can actually feel him dying. Good question as a topic-starter.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr. Dark! Hannibal-luver and I were discussing the part where Jim was sleep walking and his fingers start to hit the bars of the carousel. Then his palms hit each one as they go around and around and then he gets sucked aboard. I can just picture that exactly. I find myself doing that all the time. I'll be thinking about something and then run my fingers along the lockers or along the railings.

Kali

Posts: 15 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's a good scene. I also like the scene where Mr. Dark and Charles Halloway are talking about the boys and the boys are right below, and Mr. Dark knows the dad knows where they are and there's this really powerful implied threat. That scene gives you the chills. That scene was also well done in the movie.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by English IV groupie:
What is the most "Wickedest" part of Something Wicked This Way Comes

I would say how the carnival will actually die if somebody is happy or good thing happen around them.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dont know about the most wicked part but a part that was rather disturbing was when they dropped Mr. Electro or whatever his name was and he pretty much turned to ashes and hit the ground and scattered.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't think any of the book was really that evil. But I agree when they get at Charles for being old was pretty mean. Like when the witch was in the street and she kept stressing old, old man to the crowd.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that the most wicked part was when they were telling charles that he was too old and saying all kinds of things like that.

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the most wicked part of the story is when Mr. Cooger looks at Jim and Will when they are at Miss Foley's house because he knew who they were. That would creep me out especially after watching him go from an adult to a child by riding the carousel backwards.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that the part where Charles is getting the life sapped out of him is pretty wicked/evil. I also thought that the part where Mr.Dark has the boys pictures in his hands, he clenches his fists and starts to bleed, then the next time we see him, he has the boys faces tatooed on his hands was pretty wicked.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing." -Blaise Pascal

Posts: 14 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post