Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Live Action Halloween Tree?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live Action Halloween Tree?
 Login/Join

posted
The Halloween Tree is by far my favorite story by Mr. Bradbury. I was introduced to it when I was a child with the animated special premiere over twenty years ago. I have since read the book and watched the cartoon several times (not just at Halloween). I actually randomly watched it the night before his passing was announced (eerie coincidence).

Anyway, with advances in computer visual effects over the years, I have seen several live action films that made me think to myself ,"why is there not a live action Halloween Tree film!?" If I had an ounce of power in the politics of getting films made, I'd put all of it toward that end. I think it would open an entire new generation to the Halloween Tree and therefore Mr. Bradbury's works.

I thought I would post with this group, for I have nowhere else to discuss this yearning in my heart. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and to me, this story IS Halloween. Also, thank you, Mr. Bradbury.

Posts: 2 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 17 March 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took decades--something like 1968-1992--to get the animated one out! Would still love to see a live one, though!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting idea. It was always conceived for animation, though - Ray hatched the idea with the animation director Chuck Jones back in the '60s, inspired by a disappointing Charlie Brown Halloween special.

Ray and Chuck were never able to raise the necessary financing, so Ray wrote it as a short novel instead. Later, he sold a new animation screenplay version to Hanna-Barbera.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe if we throw enough ideas out about it we can generate some buzz! Wink

When I saw Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, I thought the genius of the visual effects would lend themselves well to a Halloween Tree film. I could even see casting Jim Carrey as Moundshroud!

Does anyone know who owns the rights to the story now that Mr. Bradbury has passed?

Posts: 2 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 17 March 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, welcome, Tyler, and your screen name is great! Bradbury's estate owns the rights to his works for the foreseeable future.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After the live-action Beauty and the Beast is a resounding success, we need to make a lot of noise about this.