Ray Bradbury Forums
Need a name of the novel

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/461104454

18 September 2010, 11:17 AM
Kateryna
Need a name of the novel
Hello everyone and Ray,

I read this novel in Russian (grew up in former USSR). The story is set on some abandoned industrial site in the future (of course). Some strange life forms have evolved on this site due to complete run down of the industrial plant.

The reason I am looking for it is... First, I want to re-read it and second, sometimes I want to tell my students (here in the US) that if they don't clean up after themselves, our lab will turn into that factory in Ray Bradbury's novel. That's when the name of that novel would be useful and I don't remember it.

Please, help.
19 September 2010, 04:05 AM
philnic
Hi Kateryna, and welcome.

That doesn't sound like a Bradbury NOVEL. However, it might be a short story. I don't recognise it, but maybe somebody else will.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
19 September 2010, 05:03 PM
dandelion
What Phil said. Novel, 0% Bradbury, short story, 50% Bradbury. Can you say what type of life forms?
20 September 2010, 08:45 AM
douglasSP
I haven't done any research, but it doesn't sound like anything by Ray Bradbury at all, not even a short story. There's a seemingly abandoned city in "The City", of course, but not an industrial plant.
24 September 2010, 02:00 PM
Kateryna
Dear all, thank you so much for responding. I think you may be right - this may be someone else's novel and not Bradbury's. Otherwise you guys would have known it. About the life forms - that's the thing - I have such a distant memory of this book that I do not remember the details. I only have a feeling of this book - but not the details. The only thing I am sure of it was an industrial site that has evolved. I am also sure that there were some very sad looking dog-type species that evolved from homeless dogs who were constantly looking for something to eat. There might have been a human there - just one - a male.
I know I am being a pain. I will go to the public library this weekend (we have a very good one) and will torture librarians there. If they don't know - then I will give up and will consider I just imagined it and book never exited.

Thank you, very much again. I will let you know what it is if I ever find out.

Kateryna
25 September 2010, 12:22 PM
theoctobercountry
If you don't have any luck at the library, try the Booksleuth board---can never tell, someone there may have the answer! Here's the link:
http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom