Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First book?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey everyone! What was the very first book you read by Ray Bradbury? Also, who or what made you read it?

The first book I engaged in by Mr. Bradbury was Dandelion Wine. I read it in 9th grade for english class. Needless to say, I devoured the book, and have been in love with Mr. Bradbury and his novels ever since.

Best,
Samantha

"Witness and Celebrate."
-Ray Bradbury

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam!

Picture it: The Martian Chronicles, high school.

And it's still my favourite book!

Dandelion Wine followed close on its heels and is probably my second favourite.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Golden Apples of the Sun!

For some reason, this was quite a popular Bradbury title in English classrooms of the early 1970s (and perhaps earlier). Who or what made me read it? Mr McCarthy, my English teacher! Actually, he only made us read a couple of the stories, and I eagerly devoured the rest.

After TGAOTS, for me, came The October Country. This one was read out of pure curiosity.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Philnic, the first Bradbury book I ever read was THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN. It was suggested to the twelve-year-old that used to be me by a junior high school librarian, when I was said I was looking for "something good" to read. After that, I was hooked! Bless that librarian's wise heart...I wish I could remember her name.

Posts: 2440 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading Dandelion Wine, I stopped reading for a short time, because in high school, that's not the "cool thing to do". I didn't read anymore novels by Ray (some short stories here and there) until I was in eleventh grade. Not because I didn't love Ray, but because I was never taught how to thoroughly read a book until my eleventh grade english class. My teacher, Mr. Miller, was phenominal in teaching me to "read between the lines" as he put it. I have a lot to thank him for. He was the only person in high school I could sit down with and talk about Mr. Bradbury and his books, it was absoluetly refreshing. Mr. Miller inspired me to reread Dandelion Wine and most of Ray Bradbury's books which have made such a penetrating impact on my life. Mr. Miller, I am sure, will never realize how much he gave to me. Mr. Miller and Mr. Bradbury gave me the love of reading, writing and not being afraid to venture into both. I am now a freshman in college, and read Mr. Bradbury almost everyday. I go to the library, as he did in his youth, and just escape into the wonderful world of Ray Bradbury - a world of fantastic thoughts, nightmares, and foresights into the future.

I do not have a favorite book by Ray, I love them all so much. Each one so different, yet equally profound in their own right.

Best,
Samantha

"Witness and Celebrate."
-Ray Bradbury

Posts: 9 | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must jump in. Phil & Richard: Golden Apples is was! Probably spring of '68 (amazing)! Freshman year in HS, I was advised to get something to read so as to stay out of trouble in a study hall (at the parochial school I attended). I can still recall seeing the paperback as I turned the rotating book rack.

(Scroll down after opening - it was the best image I could find) ~ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330220452062

All those masterful stories with Joseph (Giuseppe) Anthony Mugnaini illustrations preceding every tale. 40 years later, today I teach with relish countless RB works (ss, novels, RBTh, essays, articles, audios, movies).

What a collection!! The title, of course, from the poem by Y.B. Yates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Apples_of_the_Sun

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by src89:
I do not have a favorite book by Ray, I love them all so much. Each one so different, yet equally profound in their own right.

"I have four daughters. I don't play favourites with them, and I don't play favourites with my books."

- Ray Bradbury

But I do Ray!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Golden Apples tribute is here, from my pal Brian Sibley:

http://briansibley-exlibris.blogspot.com/search?q=golden+apples+of+the+sun

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't be sure of the first story, but I think the first Bradbury book I read was "R Is For Rocket".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was ILLUSTRATED MAN, recommended to me by a teacher when I was in high school. I was instantly entranced with stories like 'Kaleidoscope' and 'Long Rain'. I read quite widely, but nothing before or since has compared with the thrill of discovering Bradbury (particularly as he is relatively less-known in my country).

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone read this book yet:

SUMMER MORNING, SUMMER NIGHT

Subterranean Press 2008?

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think jkt should be done with it by tonight, the speed-reader!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The first story I ever read of his was All Summer in a Day. Beautiful and sad. That was in 7th grade. But I didn't get hooked on Bradbury until after high school when I read Zen and the Art of Writing. It inspired me. Since then I've read anything and everything of his I could find.

Posts: 2 | Location: Herman, PA | Registered: 03 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good lad.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it was S Is For Space. It was a rainy day, I was in jr. high school, and i was complaining about having nothing to do. My mother told me to grab this book from the bookshelf and read the first story.

I finished the book that night.

I read R Is For Rocket the next day.

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post