Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Martian Chronicles v.s. Fahrenheit 451

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Chronicles v.s. Fahrenheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
I would have to favor The Matian Chronicles over Fahrenheit 451. Yet almost everybody I heard from likes Fahrenheit 451 more than the Martian Chronicles. Perhaps people like more down-to-Earth literary works.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Martian Chronicles is my favourite, as well.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parts of Martian Chronicles are as poetic and image-filled as it gets in American literature. The landscapes, Martian characters, architecture, emotions, conflicts, canals, those "golden eyes"! It is tremendously philosophical, also. RB speaks about our challenges today - environmentally and culturally.

Though at times a bit disjointed, it represents a gathering of stories arranged from post-haste, as it were, during his early 1950's visit to NYC in search of a big publication opportunity.

The rockets blasting off and melting the icicles off from neighborhood eaves. Spring in the winter...only Bradbury tells us such wonderful things in printed word.

I enjoy F451 as much, but for different reasons. Again far-before its time, in Fahrenheit ('53) are we not living Montag's madness on 3/4/08? Plugged in youth - tune out minds. War at every channel click, reality tv families more important than our own! Scan this, buy that, ignore truths, and accept (the White Clown's) vicious humor. It is a warning bell...if there is anyone still listening!

But then, Dandelion Wine and Something Wicked also are classic in their own right, but for "different reasons" still.

If you have never read MC, here - some of its the magnificence:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/05...TF8&n=283155&s=books

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi, not had time to reply to message board for quite a while now but finally have got hold of password etc,hi to everyone i have always checked in every week or so for past year and always enjoy the comments and insight, got to say i'm on the side of mart' chronic's partly for the location' and mystic qualities but also for it's human messages and warnings, i.e once humanity has burned up this planet, we'd most likely if we could more on to the next, that's something i thought of not just know but many years previously say 20 or so years ago... but unltimitly the stories could have beem set in 1800's in mid america their just so universal/universe and the story of man, as in the earth's history no one seems to learn/ or the bigger the lie the more un-believably it seems,,,anyway that said i love the book and was luck to find acopy of the complete set on video at my local oxfam for £2, which was good to see, only thing let it down was the 70's lack of decent hair-cuts fashion and s'fx's but love the part where hudson speaks to the martian spirit, both believing they were right and no alternitive to to there sense of reality..... just a general thought does ray brad ever get the chance to read all these comments at any-time and if so would it be possible to have a live talk/write in session say for 1 hour were we could all chat or comment or at least be a part of the viewers of a such an event maybe nominating some senior members to act as a chair-person role collecting Questions to feed in to the 'live forum ' what do you all think ?? well signing off best wishes dave powell , liverpool uk

Posts: 67 | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post