Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    I'm looking for help to remember the name of a book

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm looking for help to remember the name of a book
 Login/Join

posted
I've had this Ray Bradbury story in an old Reader's Digest I have and I read it every few years. This year I went to get it and can't find the book. It is about a couple that was on their honeymoon and they are on deck when they see what they think are shooting stars/meteors go into the water near the them. They are both reporters. The ocean current rises over the years and strange sightings are made about something coming from the oceans and made a grinding sound and throw out cilia and entrap people. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the novel so I can go to the bookstore and buy it. Can anyone help me? Thanks lilgee

Posts: 4 | Registered: 05 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going with 75% not Bradbury here. Others?

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the one thing I do remember is that it was Ray Bradbury. It was a condensed novel in an old Reader's Digest I bought.

posted Hide Post
I think I have had that book since the 70's.

posted Hide Post
Hi lilgee,

Bradbury has actually written relatively few NOVELS, and this doesn't sound like one of them. Most of his books are collections of short stories.

These are his novel titles (if you stretch the definition of novel a little bit):

The Martian Chronicles
Fahrenheit 451
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Death is a Lonely Business
Graveyard for Lunatics
Let's All Kill Constance
Green Shadow, White Whale
From the Dust Returned
The Halloween Tree
Dandelion Wine

...and none of those matches your description.

You wouldn't be thinking of THE KRAKEN WAKES by John Wyndham, by any chance? (I can't remember whether the plot matches your description, but I do know that Wyndham and Bradbury are sometimes confused. Bradbury is also sometimes mistaken for Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Hi lilgee,

Bradbury has actually written relatively few NOVELS, and this doesn't sound like one of them. Most of his books are collections of short stories.

These are his novel titles (if you stretch the definition of novel a little bit):

The Martian Chronicles
Fahrenheit 451
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Death is a Lonely Business
Graveyard for Lunatics
Let's All Kill Constance
Green Shadow, White Whale
From the Dust Returned
The Halloween Tree
Dandelion Wine
Farewell Summer

...and none of those matches your description.

You wouldn't be thinking of THE KRAKEN WAKES by John Wyndham, by any chance? (I can't remember whether the plot matches your description, but I do know that Wyndham and Bradbury are sometimes confused. Bradbury is also sometimes mistaken for Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About the sea creature, reminds me of the story "The Women", found in I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC!.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, Linnl... but I just browsed through "The Women", and don't see any of the other elements referred to above!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
And furthermore, I just looked on Wikipedia for the plot of THE KRAKEN WAKES by John Wyndham, and found something that sounds quite similar to the original poster's plot description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kraken_Wakes

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, you are a genius.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my that is exactly the book. I looked up the Wikipedia. I don't know how I came up with Bradbury. I guess I love his stories. Well I can't thank you enough. I loved this book that's why I've read every few years. Now I need to find that book and buy it. Thanks

posted Hide Post
Hi lilgee,

not to worry, it happens all the time. I recommend all the Bradbury novels and stories mentioned in this thread - although Wyndham is quite good too, and British to boot!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
He is America's preeminent storyteller. For more than sixty years, Bradbury's imagination has opened doors into remarkable places, mean while leading us toward a profound understanding of ourselves and the universe we inhabit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

Posts: 2 | Location: 339 A 7th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY | Registered: 18 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post