Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    What's the name?!?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the name?!?
 Login/Join

posted
There is a short story (I think it was by Bradbury) that tells of a boy and his sister who find an ice cream store in the mall, but the store is un-manned and the ice cream is free. After lots of people discover the ice cream store, mysterious pods appear that have the ability to suck some of the fat from people's bodies. At the end, the boy's sister mentions something about the aliens using human fat as power. It's driving me and my roomie crazy trying to figure what the title is and who (if not Bradbury) wrote it. All we can remember is that we read it either in 7th or 9th grade. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Pgh, PA, USA | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not Bradbury, as far as I know.
Sounds like a dieter's fantasy to me...

By the way, check out the new site: http://www.raybradbury.com/
Lotsa Bradbury scholars there.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe Lime, Vanilla Ice meets Where Is Everybody? meets Body Snatchers! by Ray Serling Stevenson,...I believe.

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have copy of Naming the Names that you could send to me?

Posts: 1 | Location: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: 09 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alyciajo: There is a Russian website (with english translation) that has that story on line. I'll give you the general website address now, but there 's a specific part of it that has dozens of stories. I'll have to look for that address. But in the meanwhile, check this out...and maybe...there is a routing link to the list of stories I just mentioned. There are only 'introductions' to stories on this link .... http://www.immersion.raybradbury.ru/

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 10-10-2005).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, ON the topic relating to this forum who here has read Martian Chronicles and what did he/she think? I know it's THE book that you read if you like Bradbury but I just wanted to get something interesting started here

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Visit the "new board" www.raybradbury.com
Lots of M.C. info there.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is much debate about what "The Book" might be for Bradbury fans. I personnaly like "Dandelion Wine" the best.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask,
No kidding - there is much debate within MYSELF as to what THE Bradbury book is!

posted Hide Post
Talking about "The Book"...

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on Ray's actual auto-biography, "The Dogs Eat Sweet Grass"...for more than the 3 minutes I had it in my hands originally. I think some of it is made up of interviews, and other parts perhaps written by Ray himself. But, alas...there are but a mere half dozen copies out there (or less)...hidden away...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 11-25-2005).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey wallflower1116, that story is called "Eat Now, Pay Later" but I don't know who its by. What I remember is that the ice cream shop had machines that gave irresistible treats that the people kept eating them and started gaining weight. After a while, they found the pods that they had to pay to use. After a certain amount of fat was removed, they were given a blue dot on their wrist, when joined with others, resembles bracelets. Anyway, I remember reading it in school too and I sure hope this helps.
quote:
Originally posted by wallflower1116:
There is a short story (I think it was by Bradbury) that tells of a boy and his sister who find an ice cream store in the mall, but the store is un-manned and the ice cream is free. After lots of people discover the ice cream store, mysterious pods appear that have the ability to suck some of the fat from people's bodies. At the end, the boy's sister mentions something about the aliens using human fat as power. It's driving me and my roomie crazy trying to figure what the title is and who (if not Bradbury) wrote it. All we can remember is that we read it either in 7th or 9th grade. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated!!

[This message has been edited by mysteryfan (edited 01-06-2006).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an answer! This came by way of Booksleuth at http://forums.abebooks.com/n/mb/compose.asp?webtag=abes...m&rptid=9246&rptsn=2

To:� Cori

Carol Farley, "Lose Now, Pay Later." One day free candy is available at the mall. It's so delicious that weight obsessed teens can't resist it. Then stores open up offering to take your excess pounds for 25c a pound. Only a small boy thinks there might be a catch--maybe someone is farming humans?

Included in the 1995/1997 Scott Foresman textbook Cross-roads: classic themes in young adult literature (also found listed as Crossroads), as well as the Jane Yolen-edited anthology called 2041: twelve stories about the future by top science fiction writers.

(I rather suspected the title was slightly wrong when it didn't turn up in the Locus Index to Science Fiction at http://www.locusmag.com/index/0start.html which is pretty darn extensive.)

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post