Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    On the topic of James Joyce
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the topic of James Joyce
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Real men know that women are like fine wines, with age comes complexity and a slow sense of pleasure that tickles the palate, then hightens the pulse in anticipation of what is to come, and then satisfaction from a truly unique and wonderful experience that only time can bring to the wine.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WildGravity. Shouldn't be embarrassed about your post. Please don't remove it. I enjoyed it and am much too boring and mundane to try and express myself creatively. I love reading others' writing, though, and appreciate the effort and flavor. I am anxious to read the rest of the Dubliners. As I said, I loved "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"--absolutely loved it. I think I read it as a senior in HS, and the religious/poetic changes he was going through described my own experiences far more eloquently than I ever could. This was one of the great "gotcha" moments of reading great literature for me. Joyce exactly described what I felt I was going through.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to say, that I am embarassed now. And now feel great apprehension in writing how I feel, even if honestly, about Joyces writing, or The Big Mans (Ray bradbury) writing.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope the sense of embarrassment and apprehension will leave. Here are a couple thoughts from Bradbury:

"If you are writing without zest, without gusto, without love, without fun, you are only half a writer. It means you are so busy keeping one eye on the commercial market, or one ear peeled for the avant-garde coterie, that you are not being yourself. You don't even know yourself. For the first thing a writer should be is--excited. He should be a thing of fevers and enthusiasms. Without such vigor, he might as well be out picking peaches or digging ditches; God knows it'd be better for his health. . .Time enough to think and cut and rewrite tomorrow. But today--explode--fly apart--disintegrate!..."

--Zen and the Art of Writing. Ray Bradbury. pp 4, 7.

What's the point? I think Bradbury is right. Write what you're thinking and feeling with passion. It is like a brainstorming session. Don't evaluate (that can come later) but trust your self and your feelings, and write.

Trust that and you'll be fine.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That does make me feel better

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Have been gone for a few days and I must apologize to Wild Gravity for opening a can of worms, so to speak. What I meant by my remark was that I was quite impressed with the depth of your expression, this coming from a young lady (exact age not pertinent) but much younger than I but having a breadth of understanding and expressing complex ideas very well.

Again, I ask for your forgiveness of the chagrin you have experienced.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chagrin is a good word.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blasted quick-witted British!

I actually briefly thought about saying that chagrin was a bad word, but thought better of it.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blasted is a good word. (Properly pronounced with a long A, as in father.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blahst!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Continuing on this rabbit trail, Phil - do you pronounce "chagrin" the American way, i.e. "Shuh-GRIN"? Or "SHAH-grin"? Or even "sha-GRAHN" like the French?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me, personally? I don't think I've ever had to say it out loud. However, I'd probably go for "shuh-GRIN".

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Hey fellows (Doug and Phil and Braling II), as much I enjoy your conversation regarding the prounciation of the word chagrin I was hoping to hear a response from Wild Gravity as to her possibly forgiving me for my untoward comment about her age.

Wild Gravity, may I hear from you?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Untoward is a good word - ah ha!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Hey fellows (Doug and Phil and Braling II), as much I enjoy your conversation regarding the prounciation of the word chagrin I was hoping to hear a response from Wild Gravity as to her possibly forgiving me for my untoward comment about her age.

Wild Gravity, may I hear from you?

Its alright, Biplane I suppose I just missunderstood your remark.. no hard feelings