Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    On the topic of James Joyce
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the topic of James Joyce
 Login/Join

posted
Upon reading Ulysses, and Finnegans Wake again, I have come across a theory of a lady named Carol Loeb Shloss in her 2003 book Lucia Joyce: To Dance in the Wake alleges that there were Incestuous relations between his daughter (supposed to have been schizophrenic) Citing various allsions to this proposed idea such as the incestuous relations in Finnegans Wake Which as you may know includes incestuous relations between a man and his daughter, supposing that this was drawn from reality, and other alleged evidence such as correspondence from Joyce proving that he wrote to Lucia in a language similar to that in Finnegans Wake.
I have not read this book, but before this, (although I admit to being terribly sheltered in regards to various nouveau trendy theories regarding dead artists and their work) I had never heard that. I have not read her book, and was wondering what your take on it might be, I'd love to know.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wildness! Glad to see your posts again!
Here's an in-depth review of the book from the New Yorker. The reviewer, though generally lauding Shoss' work, is critical of her without-evidence inferences; including any incestual relationship between Lucia and her brother.
Seems she (Lucia) inherited bad eyes from her dad's side of the family and schizophrenia from her mom's side. Sounds like a good book, though, and I think the title is clever. I don't think I'll get around to reading it myself, not being a Joyce aficianado...

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/12/08/031208crbo_books

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made it through Ulysses and have listened to the audio lecture by The learning Company. Then, I read the original and came to appreciate what Joyce had really done. Now June 19 is always a special day.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not too familiar with Joyce, but will say that I absolutely loved his novel, "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" and his short story, "Araby". Great stuff!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, you see I wasnt entirely sure it just wasnt another "Shakespere is a woman, Jesus was a woman too" theory that seems to float around Collegian "intellectual " circles.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Wildness! Glad to see your posts again!
Here's an in-depth review of the book from the New Yorker. The reviewer, though generally lauding Shoss' work, is critical of her without-evidence inferences; including any incestual relationship between Lucia and her brother.
Seems she (Lucia) inherited bad eyes from her dad's side of the family and schizophrenia from her mom's side. Sounds like a good book, though, and I think the title is clever. I don't think I'll get around to reading it myself, not being a Joyce aficianado...

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2003/12/08/031208crbo_books

Good to be back bralling!, also, thank you for the info!

posted Hide Post
I must admit I have never tackled either of Joyce's 'big' novels.
However, I have read DUBLINERS and think it's perhaps one of the best collections of short stories I've read.

If you're a lover of the short story form (as Bradbury fans invariably are), it really is a must-read --- along with Chekov, Raymond Carver, Arthur Conan Doyle, Henry Lawson (Australian writer, who Hemingway tipped his hat to in some letter or essay that I can't quite recall the source of), Katherine Mansfield, Tobias Wolff .... etc.

DUBLINERS probably won't be to everyone's taste, but the stories are just perfectly-realised snapshots of ordinary folk and their oh-so-real struggles, joys and tragedies. Highly recommended.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have developed a love affair with James joyce.

Prickly,
To me, it seems that his work has an effect, something of a pandoras box! The fragile glass vessel that houses chaos and disorder that co-exist, exquisitely and minutely detailed of all earthly dualities, in that damged human condition, he seems to disregard this and push this of an edge, to watch shatter, as though he takes delight in the calamity that ensues! In my own personal being, it creates the same chaos, the same delightful chaos, or prickling thistles, that packs a punch directly to my solar plexus, or pumps my belly full of lead, that makes me feel, very much alive, that he, is very much alive. With such a high and pure awareness, that is almost unforgiving of every aspect of gravity, and that delightful chaos!

hah! i sound ridiculous! PLEASE DIREGARD THIS STATEMENT

posted Hide Post
Wild Gravity, how old are you?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That obvious?

posted Hide Post
biplane, let me guess. 14

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
biplane, let me guess. 14

How rude.

posted Hide Post
Just goes to prove, no female wants her age divulged no matter what it happens to be.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not at all the case, Phil, and I certainly dont appreciate the sentiment, and at this point dont find humour in it
I am an adult.

It was the audacity of the remark in assuming I'm fourteen because of what I wrote.
I was only sharing my thoughts, and I'm sorry that they went misheard, because now I feel a great deal of embarassment, so much so, I think about simply removing the post.

posted Hide Post
Don't worry about it, WildG. I would have guessed "seventeen and crazy". (At the risk of being misunderstood, it's a F451 reference...)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post