Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Writing the man himself.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writing the man himself.
 Login/Join

posted
I have sat for several months, writing and throwing away letters I've composed to Bradbury, and haven't sent a single one of them, in my own hesitance towards writing to someone I have admired so intensely for so many years.

But now, I am self publishing a small book of poetry, under a false name, here in my home town.

I am an elated jumble of nerves. and a nervous wreck.

I wanted to write to him... for words of advice, in this area. this is not a commercial plea at all just a request for his highly respected opinion.

But I am blank on what to write, and hesitant in sending it.

Can anyone be of any assitance in this regard?

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, Wild Gravity is your real name?

Seriously, I can sympathize with your situation. I'm an admirer of good writing, but don't possess the skill myself. If those who can write become tongue-tied, as it were, when it comes to expressing their admiration, what chance have I? Good luck!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on being ready to publish. What sort of advice do you want to ask? I can probably offer assistance.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bralling-

Why... They call me Natalie.

Dandelion-

I'm self publishing my own short book of poetry. I've only just begun, and am still meditating on the common theme that will dictate this particular collection. I am beginning by completing and refining my own work, and have a few ideas of where to go from there, Unfortunately, since The Temple and the perfect troupe of pretty bright young people that used to occupy the temple have left for something better, I am left with... very little ideas.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider the metaphors...imagination has no limit.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have very specific questions, I could pass them on. For advice on writing, Bradbury has given his ideas in Zen in the Art of Writing and other works.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm new here.

Advice about writing is to *just write*. They're words--just words, and that's all.

Write without fear because maybe you're pretty smart and can do it. Or, if you're pretty dumb, everybody can tell by now anyway:^) (Here I use the general *you*, not you specifically).

But if I was getting on in years like RB, and a fan letter dripping with bad prose came across my desk, I'd still read it. I would enjoy knowing younger folks are still paying attention to my message.

Personally, I'd start with a self-deprecating subject heading like "Ho hum--just another fan letter" or something like that.

I think I'll reck my own rede and write him today.

Posts: 1 | Location: Kailua Kona | Registered: 22 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do have a few, Dandelion