Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Scariest Story
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scariest Story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Goldeneyednewbie, welcome! I agree with you 100 percent... that is Ray Bradbury's scariest story. As I said before many years ago on the forum, that story literally made the hair on the back of my neck stand up (for the first and only time in my life). The story should be required reading for all current writers who think the only way to "scare" people is through graphic and explicit violence. And douglasSP is also right. That story began as the short story, "The Whole Town's Sleeping". However, like you, I have also heard that short story referred to as "The Ravine". It was also incorporated as a chapter into Ray's classic novel DANDELION WINE, which is where some readers first encounter it.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked Phil Nichols's Story Finder, and he does list the title "The Ravine", but I'm still wondering if and where it was ever published under that title — an adaptation for TV, perhaps?

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom called that story "a masterpiece of scariness."

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The story was called "The Ravine" when it aired as part of the BRADBURY 13 series of radio adaptations of Bradbury stories, and can be accessed by the link below. I'm not sure where else it has appeared under that title. (And I believe the story was called "The Lonely One" when it aired as part of THE RAY BRADBURY THEATER television series.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCDtak8nu5I&t=98s

Posts: 2473 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post