Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Information about The Small Assassin
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Information about The Small Assassin
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone,
I am trying to help a friend locate the story of The Small Assassin. We ordered one and it is included in a short story collection. She is sure that she read a much more detailed version of it when she was young without other stories. I am hoping one of you experts will know if there is such a book.

Thanks!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 15 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a book called The Small Assassin. It, however is a British release of Bradbury's short stories from his book, Dark Carnival. I guess the American equivalent would be The October Country. The Small Assassin includes about four short stories that were not included in October Country. I have both titles.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like this may have been one of the stories mentioned on this site that were revised?
Phil might know.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If ANYONE hears ANYTHING about the completed film of 'The Small Assassin', please post something.

I tried contacting the director without results. Tried contacting at least one other person connected with the film, and no feedback. The film was supposed to be shown at the Robert Redford's Sundance Film Festival, but I couldn't find a listing. It does not mean it wasn't shown, because they have a telephone directory number of film-showings there. I have a funny hunch that there was some legal hoopla over the film, after it was midway thru. So I don't know what the final outcome of it all was like.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
I have a funny hunch...

I think Peter Sellers had one of those in one of the Clouseau films from the mid-seventies. I disremember which.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont read a story of love when you have a crush on your teachers College aid, haha.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
whoops posted that last on in the wrong thread, my mistake.

a thousand apologies.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildGravity:
whoops posted that last on in the wrong thread, my mistake.

a thousand apologies.

Now that's economy apologising - that'll cover you for 999 more mistakes.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, I found this, which is supposedly the entire list of entries at the Sundance Film Festival, and The Small Assassin is not on it, so you're probably right about some problem arising. http://festival.sundance.org/2007/pdfs/2007%20SUNDANCE_...EMA_COMPETITIONS.pdf

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper: Good to hear from you.

Yeah...I looked over the Sundance listing and saw nothing. I'm guessing, but there may have been a snag on getting the rights to show the film (money, perhaps included)... I think it's possible [from some things I heard while on the set] that they were filming without legal permission/rights to the story itself. Perhaps nothing was ever ultimately worked out. That would be a shame if they could not finish...or if they did, couldn't show the film in a public venue. It was done by people who loved Bradbury's works, and done very well.

Somebody intervene here and tell me differently or add to this. Thanks!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

the people involved might just have got busy. In August, I was in correspondence with Chris Charles, one of the production team. He wrote:

"We are all very happy
with the
film thus far and very excited to begin festival exhibition.

We are currently finishing up the sound design and score. We are
scheduled
to have the film completed mid-September, just in time for the Sundance
late entry deadline. "

He also mentioned that he was about to start making a feature-length film in Chicago. So maybe they just got busy and couldn't complete it in time for Sundance.

I will try contacting him again, and give you an update if I hear anything.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil:
Wow! Thanks. I'd like to hear what happened there.

posted Hide Post
DS, I think you mean the Emergency Broadcast System...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
DS, I think you mean the Emergency Broadcast System...

Yeah, that's what I meant to say - and I know better too!

So what was the test about Mr Kordell? Too complicated to explain?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
He was testing whether we were paying attention.

Or testing the hypothesis that all threads can be thrown off-topic.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post