Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    I have a favorite. I just don't remember what it's called.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a favorite. I just don't remember what it's called.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi.
Earlier today, in a discussion else where on the internet, I remembered a story about an old woman who is desperately trying to convince two young girls that she was once ten years old like them. They don't believe her. Towards the end, she is told by her dead husband that she had always been that old and always would be, just like when she was ten she had always been ten and always would be.
I am certain that this is a Bradbury story, but I can't think of what it was called, which is why I'm here. Would any of you happen to know?
Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are several Bradbury stories that use a theme of old women and growing old and dying. 'Death and the Maiden' is one. 'The Tombling Day' is another. But your description is scary, but not Bradbury-scary style, in my opinion. So I'd say...not Bradbury

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Gia B!
Well, you've got the details a bit muddled, but this is a chapter in Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine".
I believe it does exist also as a short story, but can't recall the title just now.
Someone on the board here will come up with it, I'm sure...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gia B,
You are correct this is a Bradbury story.
Its called "Season of Disbelief" and its collected in BRADBURY STORIES(2003). Its also
a chapter in DANDELION WINE.
Also if you go to archive.org and look under CBS Radio Workshop, you can download a 1956 radio program which dramatises the stories "Season of Disbelief" and "Hail and Farwell". Ray Bradbury introduces both and they are wonderful. Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling and Brother are correct - I just recently reread DW and recollect the story.

You can indeed listen to it with Hail & Farewell here.

I love the way these are adapted. The style of Ray's stories fit well into this type of adaptation. I have often thought when trying to adapt other Bradbury stories that this seems a very attractive option - a narrator cut into the action. It works very well.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much, Brother Tarkas. That's it! You have made me very happy.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parts of that story, I really love, but I don't think I can ever reconcile with the ending. I guess it makes me uncomfortable when such things are done for a reason, as much as when they happen for no reason.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooops! You can tell I've never read that story.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Ooops! You can tell I've never read that story.

You've never read Dandelion Wine!?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding:
Actually, I've hardly read any of Bradbury's stories! In fact, I didn't discover Bradbury by reading any of his stories. Actually, I just saw his name on a magazine cover. Didn't know who he was. That was enough for me!

posted Hide Post
Huh?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah - that one took me by surprise too.

Now you're just having sport with us!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Now you're just having sport with us!

No, really! I've posted about this somewheres before. No kidding!

When I was in around 5th or 6th grade, I walked into a drugstore near school and walked up to a revolving magazine rack, and for a nano second saw color like I had never seen before and a sound/silence I had never experienced. My eyes immediately saw a name on that magazine cover: Ray Bradbury. The adventure began!

posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was in around 5th or 6th grade, I walked into a drugstore near school and walked up to a revolving magazine rack, and for a nano second saw color like I had never seen before and a sound/silence I had never experienced. My eyes immediately saw a name on that magazine cover: Ray Bradbury. The adventure began!

Same thing happened to me, except it was in my school library and it was The Martian Chronicles.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
for a nano second saw color like I had never seen before and a sound/silence I had never experienced. My eyes immediately saw a name on that magazine cover: Ray Bradbury. The adventure began!

Same thing happened to me, except it was in my school library and it was The Martian Chronicles.

Ah, say what???!!!
http://www.televisiontunes.com/Twilight_Zone.html

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post