Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Dandelion Wine
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Pavel,
Have you ever heard the John Huff episode read by Bradbury himself? Very powerful.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The facts about John Huff, aged twelve, are simple and soon stated....."

I have often thought of what Mr. Bradbury did with this character. John definitley deserves a revisit. Reading this passage always has a profound effect on me. Students in classes can relate to it, as they have left or been left just as Doug and John are!

One of my ALL time favorite RB passages to read whether silently or aloud!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Braling II -- no Frowner I even did not know about any records with HIS voice. Can anybody give me a link to a web-shop?

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pavel,

I have this recording (part of a set called The Fantastic Tales of Ray Bradbury - available from Amazon, or for download from Audible). If you'd like to email me I could send you an MP3 copy.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an actual vinyl record (LP) Ray did years ago (1970's) as there were actually a series of them. If the original recordings were remastered for digital production, I don't know. Ray has also recorded some stories for audio-books (tapes). And some of these are still available.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a fairly comprehensive (but not exhaustive!) list here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic, thank you very much for the offer. I will certainly download these records, but some time later, because now i don't have a good connection.

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read a story to my 7th grade classroom about 10 years called "The Whole Town is Sleeping" from a short story compilation book. They loved it and hated it because the ending was sooo scary and wonderful and totally left them hanging. For the longest time I thought that was really where the story ended. Then about four years ago I read Dandelion Wine and saw the chapter about Lavinia and The Lonely One and realized this story was from that novel. The next chapter, of couse, tells how Lavinia did NOT get attacked by The Lonely One. Now, when I'm done reading the story and the students complain, I mention Dandelion Wine. That book is perpetually checked out of our school library. The students can't get enough of it. I love it! Smiler

Posts: 5 | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dark,
My humble respects to you. An inspiring anecdote. And to all you teachers, my sincerest regards.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having purchased the 5 dvd RBT collection a while back, I occasionally put an episode on after a long day of whatever so as to simply enjoy the metaphors that were crammed into the camera.

One night I put on "The Lonely One!" My wife had much difficulty getting to sleep that night. It may have been 2 whole days before the squeeze marks on my arm diminished from where she had latched on to me about half way through the story.

She still refers to it, at least a year later, and now wants a quick assurance that the selection we are about to view will not be of quite the same stress level. That is really a difficult "assurance" to make with RB's works, especially if you are not familiar with his classic conflicts and conclusions!

Interestingly, we had read DW together as a family. Yet, played out on the screen, it had a very different affect on her. Mr. Dark's allusion to the follow-up on Lavinia, and what she did, does not appear in the RBT version.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a note:

"Dark" and "Mr. Dark" are two different people. I didn't post that last comment. The names are a little too close for comfort, but what can you do?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:
I picked that up right after posting my reply. Being as you are from the old neighborhood, so to speak, I understand and appreciate your perspective and the point of clarification!
f

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,
You are right. There could be confusion, but please be assured that I had made the distinction before I posted. I respect you and your opinions too much to misidentify you with anyone else and look forward to your next though too infrequent postings.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed "Dark's" comment, so I hope my clarification wasn't misconstrued as a criticism. I just think the names are too close.

I hope to begin being more involved int he boards again. I'm working on a project on Ray that I have had to put on hold while I went through some changes (work, marriage, etc). I hope to be back at it in full force soon, and that will force an interaction with Ray's writing that will prompt me to post more again.

I am working through Sam Weller's biography now (which I enjoy), and am reading "Conversations with Ray Bradbury" also (which I'm also enjoying). I'm looking forward to reading the two Touponce books: "Ray Bradbury: the Life of Fiction" and "Ray Bradbury and the Poetics of Reverie". I have read portions of both and they are excellent (great scholarship!!), and am looking forward to reading them both cover to cover. There is some great stuff out there on Ray! I hope to be able to add to that literature in a year or so.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

I'm glad to see you posting again. I was getting a little worried there for a while. Do keep us up to date on your Bradbury project. And the changes in your life? Work, marriage, etc.? Oh, my. Details, please. (And moret details about the work and marriage and less about the etc. is preferable.) I'm sure your many friends here on the board would be interested to hear the latest.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post