Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FG Wickeds
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone and fair students of mine. I think some of you are in limbo as to what to discuss, so here is a topic.
Carnivals: How evil are they? In the novel? In life?
Personally carnivals terrify me. I always find people that dress up like unhuman(?) characters and people who can do unhuman(?) tricks creep me out. What do you think? Is this the same in the novel?

Big Brother is always watching-Dr. T.J. Eckleburg out!

Posts: 5 | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this the reason that this book is a fantasy cause crazy things that would not actually happen can happen in this book and the way that bradbury explains them is really awesome. I am not much of a reader but this book is actually really keeping me interested.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well i dont necessarily think that all carnivals are scary but those "carnie" people who work them have always terrified me. They all just seem so gross.

Posts: 10 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that the carnival in the book is a lot worse than any carnival in real life, simply because it's fantasy, but it's still more scary. I think the Dust Witch is awful. I find it the freakiest of all the carnival freaks. Her eyes are sewn shut with spider string and she can feel what you feel. The idea of being able to feel what another is feeling for means to hurt them is creepy. This part in the book sends chills up my spine!!!

Posts: 8 | Location: ~Live AND Love It~ | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carnies are freaky! They have this ora that tells you they freaks in an evil sense. They have give you this feeling that tells you that you can't trust them.

Posts: 8 | Location: ~Live AND Love It~ | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that carnivals are only as scary as you make them. I also think that the time of day or time of year has a part in it.
Just as in the book the boys go to the carnival at night and they are scared, but most people go to the carnival in the day time just to enjoy it. If they go at night then they are going to get a thrill, so I believe that it really depends on the setting and why one would want to attend a carnival

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really like carnivals. They smell funny not to mention the creepy carnies. They are also way to crowded. I also think that the sight seeing things like the smallest woman in the world and the snake women are really stupid.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the carnival book is a lot worse than in real life as well, because Ray Bradbury has a lot of imagination. Mainly in real life I think the carnivals are pretty cool...but I hate the carnies too, because they seem so nasty!

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think most people just fear clowns. I don't really think theres anything to be scared of. I guess the people with weird limbs are crazy and scary, but other than that just clowns.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always been afraid of carnivals as well. The clowns and they way people act at them has made me very uncomfortable. The story's carnival is a perfect depiction of a child's fear of a carnival. Many things can go unexplained at the carnival.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care for carnivals either. Mostly because of the people that work there. They are all mostly nasty and creepy. Besides the whole place smells like a huge dumpster.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy reading this, and from my standpoint people reject fantasy from the point of saying it could never happen, that is silly. What if someone told you that hundreds of thousands of years ago lizards were as big as skyscrapers and could run 55 mph, if thats not something that we had been shown proof of would we believe that they existed, how are we to say that these supernatural things dont happen, and our human minds are so finite that we dont comprehend the supernatural occurances and so we can rationalize it to ourselves, we just convince ourselves that it is fantasy and that it could never happen

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet carnivals were a lot creepier before cigarettes were invented. Now they're just trashy.

i'm awesome

Posts: 26 | Location: earth | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with ripped abs, i don't want to entrust my life with people who look as trashy as a lot of carnies do. I feel that carnivals might used to have been bad but now they are just trash.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carnivals seem trashy and cheap-- I always think of the carnies too. They remind me of the illustrated man in SWTWC-- and the mirrors-- well who really wants to stare at themselves that long anyway?

Posts: 11 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post