Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Bradbury's best short story
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury's best short story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
It's so hard to choose just one, but I think my favorite Ray Bradbury story is "The October Game." I mentioned to Ray, perhaps ten years before his passing, how much I liked the story, and I was surprised when he replied that he "hated it." I asked why, and he said that he had written the story as a very young man, before he had married and had daughters himself, and that he could have never have written such a story later in his life. In response, I told him that I loved the ambiguity of the story, the uncertainty as to whether the father had actually harmed his daughter or whether he was just playing a horrible and sadistic joke on the wife he hated. I then looked at Ray, hoping he would tell me his own interpretation of the story, but he just wisely smiled and said nothing. That is the beauty of so many of Ray's stories: they rely on the readers to use their imaginations to provide their own interpretation to what is happening or has happened in the story, rather than spelling it out for them.

There will never be another Ray Bradbury. But we can all be thankful for the works that he left us!

Posts: 2439 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The October Game" creeped me out so bad it caused me to make such a fool of myself as to become the talk of my entire Junior High School! I mentioned this years ago and nobody asked me the story. I must tell it sometime.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
I must tell it sometime.

But when?!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's really terrible the way I keep putting that little thing off.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post