Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Bradbury's best short story
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury's best short story
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kukai_Aoki:
...would your name happen to be Clay Evans?

Kukai-Aoki's real name is Lt Columbo Big Grin

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
...is Lt Columbo Big Grin

Roll Eyes How ever could you tell? I hid it so very well.

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The brown raincoat gave it away.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought this one suited me better.

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it sure beats this one!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by claybonnyman:
...once at a post-talk party in Boulder, Colo...

I was there!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite story of Ray will always be "The miracles of Jamie". It is one of his quite early, dark stories (1946) and it gives a deep insight into the thoughts of a teenage boy. I myself had similar ideas and thoughts like Jamie when I was younger and I also got disappointed.

(Sorry for any spelling mistakes, I am from Germany Wink

--------------------------------------------
contact: http://i150.photobucket.com/al...08/fotos137/mail.jpg

Posts: 28 | Location: Germany | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, whoever! Your spelling is perfect; you must visit more often! Smiler

"The Miracles of Jamie" is one of RB's most sentimental stories - it's amazing that it took him 30 years to collect it in one of his books!

The man has just too much material.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is really astonishing that it took him so long to collect this story. Especially as "The Miracles of Jamie" and "One timeless Spring" (also one of my favorites) were both sold to slick magazines in 1946...

--------------------------------------------
contact: http://i150.photobucket.com/al...08/fotos137/mail.jpg

Posts: 28 | Location: Germany | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Sound of Thunder is an amazing story. Like you were saying his attention to detail makes you picture a t-rex in a way you have never done before as something that truly existed and not in the context of an ancient being that we sometimes almost lump into a mythical category. He makes it real for us, and with that frightening and exciting too.

I am a new comer to many of Bradbury's stories, but one of my favorites that I have read so far is "Embroidery." It is an amazing story that left me reaching for more and literally blown away at the end. He can make everything so beautiful, even death and destruction. I didn't see the end coming.

The Fog Horn is another great story that I have read of his.

Posts: 1 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA | Registered: 02 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think my favourite short story has to be 'The Fruit in the Bottom of the Bowl', maybe because it was the very first RB story I read about 35 years ago. I seems E.A. Poe-ish to me (I love Poe, too). The second story I read was "A Sound of Thunder" and enjoyed that one, as well. So difficult to choose (sigh).

Posts: 4 | Registered: 25 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pah5446:

I am a new comer to many of Bradbury's stories, but one of my favorites that I have read so far is "Embroidery." It is an amazing story that left me reaching for more and literally blown away at the end. He can make everything so beautiful, even death and destruction. I didn't see the end coming.

The Fog Horn is another great story that I have read of his.

I agree. Both these stories are excelelnt. I just recently re-read them. You really feel for the 'monster' in 'Fog Horn'.

I think 'The Murderer' is also a great story (the title is misleading) and it also applies to today (think cell phones and e-mail). Funny!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 25 August 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Frost and Fire the most out of his anthology of stories. It's so different from his other works too, and maybe that's what made me fall in love with it. It's winding together the aspect of human emotion that we see so often with his works with a science fiction based adult-hood.

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Choosing a favorite story is like choosing a favorite child. Each child is a favorite when you are with them individually, just as each story touches my heart independently, impressing, inspiring, and often comforting, but always expressing my own feelings in beautifully manipulated prose.

Posts: 16 | Location: Greentown | Registered: 22 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am one of those who absolutely embraces a wonderful song, tune, story, person. Yet most titles given run away from my memory. Yet, odd details can stick. I came across here trying to find a name for the short I wanted to find. It entailed a couple who escaped to another time. On the run. They got caught by the simple detail the husband had sat down without tugging up his pantleg. Still have not found the title, but overjoyed in realizing there is a plave dedicated to an author that reminds me....Back in the day, he was considered so out there, where I live now, nobody has heard of him. ...how ironic

Posts: 1 | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post