Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Wicked Gothic!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wicked Gothic!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ophelia:
Something Wicked... is considered a Gothic, fantasy. Frankenstein is also a Gothic novel. Are these novels similar? How is Ray's novel a Gothic piece?

It's how you interpret the parts. One could read the book and just view it as a fantasy but if you let the book speak and read its self you can indulge in the haunting thrill of it. I find it a gothic piece because I can get so ate up in the darkness that it leaves my blood running for more. I like thinking of all the dark hidden metaphors.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun thread. I definitely see Bradbury's dark side in here. But there is also the redemption of the characters in overcoming the pull of regret, sadness, loss, frustration, disappointment, etc. But it definitely catches some. I like the comparison to Frankenstein for elements of the Goth.

When I read this, I also think of Nathaniel Hawthorne's two great short stories on the theme of hidden darkness in man: "The Minister's Black Veil" and "Young Goodman Brown". If you haven't read those, I highly recommend them. Bradbury often cites Hawthorne as an influence.

They both deal with obsession, hypocrisy, and the hidden darkness in man.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ophelia:
Something Wicked... is considered a Gothic, fantasy. Frankenstein is also a Gothic novel. Are these novels similar? How is Ray's novel a Gothic piece?

I would say they are both similar in the sense that neither one could ever really happen. As far as how something wicked being gothic I would say because it involves dark misterious forces which gothic people believe in.

Posts: 19 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
crazy is such a relative term to bestowe upon someone, I believe that it has changed in the English Language and now it has a new life all its own, and under that umbrella of language, yes I believe bradbury is crazy

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
these books are similar they both have evil forces roaming around at night. also darkeness had a lot to do with both stories.

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think both books relate in the sense they both have the darkness in them and most the things that go on in them are done at night. I can see how SWTWC is gothic because of the carnival people with the tatoos and how it is done at night.

Posts: 20 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, in both of these books, a character wants something that is not possible in the normal domain of life. This person/these people will do anything to get to their goal.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing." -Blaise Pascal

Posts: 14 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post