Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    looking for Dial Double Zero

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for Dial Double Zero
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for the book containing a story called "Dial Double Zero" that I recall seeing in a film in elementary school (mid 70's). As I recall it involves someone or something tapping into the phone lines. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 1 | Location: The Woodlands, TX USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have this story in any of my Bradbury materials. I'm not in a position to do a library search for it right now, either.

I seem to recollect watching a black and white film in school years ago -- an english class -- where it was a bio on Bradbury and his works; and I seem to remember that he talked about how he got the ideas for his stories. One of those stories had the kind of plot you're talking about. We probably saw the same film.

I just went through all my Bradbury books, and I don't see that story in any of my collections.

Sorry.

Maybe someone else has access to a database where they can search for a story with this title (this is the right title, right?).

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it's an obscure little thing--not listed under that title in Internet Movie Database or any online source I could locate--but it DOES exist! The story "Dial Double Zero" was dramatized as part of the NBC-TV special, "The Story of a Writer," telecast November 20, 1963, and only on the west coast at that. This story has never appeared under this title in any printed publication, I can state with a fair degree of confidence, since my fiction list is complete, and up-to-date except for the latest collection. Where to get a copy now? Schools didn't own these things, teachers rented them from a company and then returned them. It's listed as "A Wolper Production, Directed by Terry Sanders," for anyone wishing to trace it further.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish this story would be printed or at least made available on video, as people keep asking for it.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more. I remember watching that movie myself. I would love to read the story or have access to a video of the film. If I remember correctly, it had a lot of input from Ray on how he comes up with story ideas.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The FULL version of "The Story of a Writer," INCLUDING the dramatisation of "Dial Double Zero", is now available on DVD from this website: http://www.americanfilmfoundation.com/order/ray_bradbury.shtml

posted Hide Post
Dandelion seems to worked another google miracle...good going.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but actually somebody sent me the information via email and told me to post it and take the credit.