Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Favorite Short Story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Short Story
 Login/Join

posted
My personal favorite short story of Ray's is "There Will Come Soft Rains". I first read this story in 8th grade, which was a looong time ago, and the imagery and impact of the tale never left me. My daughter was born this July, and on the day she was born I held her and read the story to her.

Ray's ability to give the house such human traits is a genuine skill he has, and you actually feel a great sense of sadness at how alone the house feels, and you are overcome with a sense of loss as the house starts to "die".

I love almost everything Ray has done, but no story of his has touched me or grabbed me as much as this one.

What story is YOUR favorite?

Posts: 2 | Location: Eagan, MN USA | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently read that story to my kids(12 and 9) and my 9 year old asked me if I was crying and I replied, "Yeah, it's so sad, isn't it?" He just shrugged his shoulders and said, "Yeah, I guess." I guess the young are somewhat immune to that kind of sense of loss.

A few nites ago I made the mistake of reading THE EMISSARY to them at bedtime. It sure is nice having a 12 year old still asking me, "What are you going to read to us tonite?" But if I continue reading stories like that one to them, they may come to dread bedtime/storytime.

I think my favorite story changes with my mood. RB has a story for every occasion and every mood. Having said that, MARIONETTES INC. is always a good read regardless of what mood I'm in.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The October Country" brought on a sleepless night for me at age 15!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, for give me for what may be nitpicking, but are you referring to the collection, THE OCTOBER COUNTRY, or the short story, "The October Game"? If it's the latter, I agree...it is one of the "creepiest" stories I have ever read and great fun!

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tickticktickticktick

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*g* that was quite obvious...

Reading "The Machineries of Joy" at the moment.
Two new favorites are:
Death and the Maiden -- very romantic AND funny!
The Best of All Possible Worlds -- a very "honest" story (but, then, all of Ray's stories are) -- the topic reminded me a bit of the not so positive/happy story about fidelity from the collection "One More for the Road", I guess it was called Now, What Do You Have to Say for Yourself
... and The Illustrated Woman, of course -- hilarious!

Posts: 62 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The October Country" was a new experience for me as far as Ray's work, though my reaction to "The October Game" did bring on one of my more memorable Junior High School humiliations!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have so many favorites; I hardly know where to begin. I enjoy rereading them also.
"There Will Come Soft Rains" is a masterpiece, "The Vacation", "I Sing the Body Electric!", "That Woman on the Lawn", "The October Game", "The Women", "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl", "The Watchers", "The Million-Year Picnic", "A Sound of Thunder".....oh man, I'll have to think about this one! LOL

There is more than one way to burn a book.

Posts: 12 | Location: Seattle WA King | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And in terms of novels, Something Wicked This Way Comes is a stunning masterwork. Stephen King lists that novel as one of his 10 favorites in the horror/dark fantasy genre, and I wholeheartedly agree.
Fahrenheit 451 is equally masterful. Every time I step into a bookstore or library, I breathe a silent prayer of thanks that the world Ray envisioned in that story has not come to pass.

There is more than one way to burn a book.

Posts: 12 | Location: Seattle WA King | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what do you guys think of "The City"? Did you liked it?

Posts: 31 | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked "The City" a lot. Very scary with the subtle disappearances. And then the tie to today with the use of weapons of mass destruction as a means of indiscriminate slaughter against the innocent for the sake of vengeance. Very timely story.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You all have got me to thinking and I went over to my book case and pulled out Ray's Bradbury, One Hundred Stories and reread The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair. I had tears in my eyes when I finished reading it. I have always enjoyed the story, obviously autobiographical, but to what extent one might wonder.

More recently the title story from the The Cat's Pajamas. What a delightful story. And the thing about both of these stories that I simply love is that there isn't a hint of science fiction or fantasy, but pure human emotion, tender gentleness of one person reacting and relating to another.

I spoke with Ray just the other day. He sounded great but was having trouble with his hearing aid. I think that it troubles us all that Ray is so young at heart and such a great spirit, yet is fighting the ravages of old age every day. It is refreshing to hear of his getting out and speaking to groups and keeping so vital.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still remember being wiped out by "Kaleidoscope" "The Pedestrian" "The Dwarf" and "The Long Rain" when I first read them.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 11-13-2004).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been reading a ton of Ray these past 6 months for school and I have just grown more and more fond with each book read. The guy has an amazing way of making you feel what his characters feel. They all such such genuine human qualities.

I also found the short story "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" to be quite moving.

Posts: 2 | Location: Eagan, MN USA | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post