Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Looking for the name of a story
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for the name of a story
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for the name of a short story where people only lived for one day. Any help is appreciated!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeanne B, and welcome to the board.

People who only live for a day. Hmmm. All I can think of is "Frost and Fire" (Bradbury story in which people live for about 8 days), and "All Summer in a Day" (Bradbury summer in which summer occurs on a single day and it rains for the rest of the year. Just like the UK...)

Other board members may be be able to recall something that is a better match.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil. I read "All in a Summer Day" and that's not it. I don't recall "Frost and Fire" but in the one I'm looking for I THOUGHT they only lived a day. My brother remembers it that way, too and it's driving us nuts trying to remember the name of it.
Would you happen to know which book of short stories that "Fire and Ice" would be in.

Thanks for the welcome. I keep having a really hard time logging on to my account...

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, too Phil. Very thoughtful of you and I will check it out.

posted Hide Post
Phil, just checked out "Frost and Fire" it sounds familiar! Wonder if that is what I was thinking of as I think I've read "R is for Rocket" many years ago.
I made the mistake of lending some of my Bradbury stuff out and never got them back. Frowner Will have to get some new copies! Smiler

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeanne B.:
Phil, just checked out "Frost and Fire" it sounds familiar! Wonder if that is what I was thinking of as I think I've read "R is for Rocket" many years ago.
I made the mistake of lending some of my Bradbury stuff out and never got them back. Frowner Will have to get some new copies! Smiler

THAT has happened to many of us, I'm sure!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Frost and Fire" is an excellent short story in "R is for Rocket". It starts out with living in one set of caves (that only let you live for eight days), however if you can make it accross the valley floor and fight for another cave you can live 11 days!!...eventually the characters in the story make there way to a crashed space ship...
This is one of the great stories in the collection in this book..

Posts: 15 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 10 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd recommend that you stop spamming us.

DANDELION! Can these spammers be stopped, please. I've seen other message forums die when spam outnumbers proper messages. I would hate to see this particular lawn ruined by uncontrollable weeds such as this!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Post and member removed. If they want to post without the spam links they'll have to reregister.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smiler

- Phil

<Carol Pat>
posted
quote:

I agree with you that Fire and Frost is really a very interesting story..It's like I never get bored of reading it.I read it near about 5-6 times.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Pat:
I agree with you that Fire and Frost is really a very interesting story..It's like I never get bored of reading it.I read it near about 5-6 times.

With the blinds open or closed?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Pat:
quote:

It made for a very unique ballet.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance (I probably know less about Ray and his stories than anyone here, but I'm learning), but I thought "R is for Rocket" and "S is for Space" were childrens books, so I gave them a miss.
Sounds like that was a mistake.

I'm Alive!

Posts: 32 | Location: Cardigan, Wales | Registered: 19 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I've seen other message forums die when spam outnumbers proper messages. I would hate to see this particular lawn ruined by uncontrollable weeds such as this!

Maybe post a note to remind members to hit the report button - probably some haven't noticed it.
Just a thought to help with the weeding.

I'm Alive!

Posts: 32 | Location: Cardigan, Wales | Registered: 19 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post