Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Something Wicked This Way Comes
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something Wicked This Way Comes
 Login/Join

posted
Today I listened to the new full cast audio CD of SWTWC. This has been recently released by Blackstone Audio: http://www.blackstoneaudio.com/search.cfm?search=bradbury

Blackstone has more CDs of Bradbur stories, too. If nothing else you must go to the website and look at who did the quote for SWTWC.

p.s. When I went to their website they have an audio recording of King Kong with commentary by Ray Bradbury, Ray Harryhausen and Larry Nevin, among others. It is on sale so I had to buy two of them. That should get attention when people hear Kong's roar coming from my office.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved the full cast "Dandelion Wine," and I just ordered SWTWC from Amazon. I can't wait to hear it!

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
...If nothing else you must go to the website and look at who did the quote for SWTWC...

It is a spectacular quote!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What quote?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't care for the reading renditions of Rays audio books via the link listed. The voices all sound something a glossy committee approved of during a late night gin-rummy game.

I am much partial to the narrator of the movie, Something Wicked This Way Comes. I believe Arthur Hill did the narration. Great voice. Where are there other Arthur Hills out there?

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Paul Hecht's Recorded Books reading of SWTWC.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, there are only two of the full cast recordings by the link listed, and sorry, but they do not sound like they were cast with in a late night gin-rummy game to me (I wonder how that would work, anyway?). I heard SWTWC tonight, and I think Halloway and Mr. Dark are just as good, if not better than the movie versions. To each his own I suppose.

Posts: 36 | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect Nard is referring to the book-read-by-a-single-performer type of audiobook, which is what Blackstone mostly sell. However, jkt and Jim Adams are referring to the full-cast-dramatisations, which are an entirely different kettle of fish.

BralingII asked "which quote?" The answer is on this page:
http://www.blackstoneaudio.com/audiobook.cfm?ID=4599

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic is correct here. We have to be careful not to be comparing Navel oranges with Manderine ornages here. There are the pure audio books, which have one person reading the text of the book. While we'll have a cast recording of a radio play. One is the pure form of the book and the other being a performance based on the book.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil (philnic)
jkt:

Yes! Phil is right. I am referring to the single performer audio book.

Back in 2005, the city of Chicago had 'Ray Bradbury Day' in Chicago, proclaimed such by the City Council of Chicago and Mayor Daley. In the evening, at the Main Library in downtown Chicago, they had several "actors" read Ray Bradbury. Each took their own turn reading a portion, and every one of those people were FANTASTIC!! on their own. Their emotional take on Ray's writing, their voices, their demeanor, their presentation, the nuances...everything...was so right on! It was a pleasure to hear each of them...individually. Yes, it can be done with single performers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why "Carnivals, Near and Far" on copyright page of SWTWC?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which edition, fjp? My copies don't seem to have that.

- Phil

posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp, what exactly does the copyright statement say?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, on these copies -Avon & BofM- (but not on earlier Bantam pb's I have), simply"Carnival's, Far and Near", c. 1999. It gives the impression that it was a title released somewhere/sometime - and is being noted as such!?

I'll check on this later and add a bit more info.
f