Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    I Loved farenheight 451
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Loved farenheight 451
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Yea, verily.
Although this is straying from the 'thread', this one of my pet peeves. I see things like an apostrophe before an S used to indicate the plural all the time; and I lament what may be the moribundity of the past perfect tense. I've even heard an example of the latter uttered by a radio announcer recently when he said, "...he could have went..." (shudder!)
Sometimes it makes me want to defenestrate!!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II,
I know exactly what you mean! The very same thing drives me NUTS on a daily basis. Another common misusage of the apostrophe is when referring to a decade. For example, writing

the 70's

as opposed to the proper spelling;

the '70s

which is an abbreviation from which the "19" has been removed and replaced with an apostrophe. The former would imply that something belonged to the number 70.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had to read the book for school and at first I thought i was gonno be a realy stupid book but once I stared It did make me think and i wanted to read on. I didnt finish it yet but i bet its gonno be intresting. =)

Posts: 8 | Location: Lemont,IL,Us | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked 451 it was a good novel. It really makes you think about censorship and knowledge. It is strange how the government suggests censorship.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, nickg, it is strange how government suggest censorship. I just recently read F451 and also 1984 by George Orwell, and I noticed some of the same themes, like censorship, war, and causing the people they govern to be ignorant of their past. Did anyone else read both these books and notice the similarities?

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HilaryDuff5:
I just finished it and it realy made me think!

F451 really made me think too... It made me realize how important books are in our society and how they change the way people think,they really put an effect on learning and education. It taught me respect for books and a passion for reading. I really enjoyed the book and everything it taught me.

Posts: 6 | Location: Lemont, il US | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
F.451 was really a great book. Everyone should read it. After reading this book it really made me think of my dream of being the ruler of the world. It gave me great ideas on how to start and how to stay leader. First off the part about censorship is great! because i can make people think what i want them to think and also i would have the power to make people smart or stupid. also to enforce this i will use killer robots because im sure that robot intellegence will heighten in the next few decades. So when your all groveling at my feet when im the world ruler you can all thank Ray Bradbury. :-)

the duderino

Posts: 5 | Location: lemont | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HilaryDuff5:
I just finished it and it realy made me think!

F451 really made me think too... It made me realize how important books are in our society and how they change the way people think,they really put an effect on learning and education. Fabers speach for example it taught me respect for books and a passion for reading. I really enjoyed the book and everything it taught me.

Posts: 6 | Location: Lemont, il US | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post