Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Movies and the "Bradbury feel"
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies and the "Bradbury feel"
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Have just seen the film 'Hearts in Atlantis',
based on a short story by Stephen King....

A nice coming of age film, with that Bradbury sort of feel

Posts: 10 | Location: Auckland,New Zealand | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old one, but the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" reminds me of Ray Bradbury type stories

Posts: 3 | Location: Canada | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*bump*

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*bump*

Damn spam!

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We were having such a nice discussion about new movies, "Narnia" and "King Kong," and how Bradbury's stories should be filmed THAT WELL, over at the new board. *Sigh*, how I miss that new board....

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't start!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
�Then your grandfather would be Ol� Sean Thornton?�
�Right�
�Bless his memory.�
�So it�s himself you�re named after. Well now. That being the case, it is a pleasant evening and we will have a drink.�

There was a wild colonial boy,
Jack Duggan was his name.

He was born and bred in Ireland
In a town called Castlemaine.

He was his father�s only son,
His mother�s pride and joy,

And dearly did his parents love
This wild colonial boy.

HAPPY SAINT PAT�S�EARLY.

And I thank�ee.

Posts: 206 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm currently reading The Vacation from The Machineries OF Joy. It just hit me very powerfully this morning when I was reading an excerpt in between thunderstorms. The story itself had a very movielike feel to it and also very surreal, which most of his storie's do. Just the whole description before and during the arrival of the people in the story on that weird little handcar on the train tracks was so out of kilter that it struck me very powerfully. I wonder sometimes if Mr. Bradbury did actually sample a taste of Mr. Huxley's elixer after all. Some things are better left unsaid. The reason I wonder about this, is that his writing strikes a powerful chord within me that is almost paralelled by how I felt when I sampled that very elixer. Another way to put it is that Ray's writing makes me feel similiar to the strange feeling you'd get watching those stop motion pictures of plants and flowers growing quickly right before your eyes that they used to show in school as a child. Or those close up shots of frogs chirpping or laying eggs in a pond, also that they used to show. He's so unlike any other author, I think at conveying the truly strange and bizarre but at the same time, the joy and the wonderful.

Onward to Mars!

Posts: 318 | Location: Louisville, KY United States | Registered: 27 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Tim Burton? Big Fish is a perfect example of how Tim could take the quirky fantasy of Ray Bradbury and make it believable and emotionally impacting. I think he could take it seriously enough and have fun with it enough that he could succeed where so many others have failed at putting Bradbury on film.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seeing "Bridge to Terabithia" has given me faith that an accurate movie CAN still be made of a book, with special effects used to really enhance the story and not just making a movie for the sake of using special effects.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second Dandelion's feelings. I loved the feel and feelings that the movie evoked. Great job, well done, go see it.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw “Terabithia” and agree with you and dandelion. The film has a lot to teach us and it reminds us that what authors share with us can enrich our lives. The movie did its job. It broke my heart.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't added many movies here (I see few and would recommend less) but do wish to recommend the wonderful film Dragonfly from 2002, which deals with some of the same issues as Photographing Fairies and is quite well done--genuinely startling in places.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched Hugo after reading the account of the disastrous handling of Something Wicked This Way Comes thinking all the way through, if only Martin Scorsese could have directed that! (With Jonathan Pryce still as Mr. Dark, of course--the rest of the movie would have to be recast.)